HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake Austin report

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Austin report

Water temp climbed back to 80 degrees and slightly stained. Crappie seem to be in transition with some feeding in brush piles in 22 feet of water with fish at top of brush pile at 12-15 feet. Pepop’s white jigs topped with minnows assures is of some good eating although we are not hammering them. Caught a skinny white but was 14.5 inches long as well as an Arkansas Black Nosed Crappie. They seem to be thicker and definitely feisty but that may just be the ones we catch.
    Name:  IMG_0544.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  64.5 KBName:  IMG_0545.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  85.2 KB

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes 1187mg, S10CHEVY, scrat, gravelman6 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Uhhh, no ... they're just as feisty and hard pulling everywhere else I've caught them (Blacknose) !!

I've seen a report, I think it was one of the Fla reports, that said they didn't think the Blacknose was any harder pulling or wilder than any other Black Crappie .... but, I beg to differ !! I've experienced, on more than one occasion, having a Blacknose jump clear out of the water upon hookset ... and on one of those occasions, I had a Blacknose jump clear over the front end of my buddy's Tracker TX17 and land in the water a good 5ft from the boat. Man 'O Man ... if only I had a camera trained on me, then !! What a show that would have been ...........

Picture this : front end of boat is pushed into the side branches of a large fallen fir tree - I'm Vertical Casting a jig down through the branches about 3ft from the right side of the boat - the line all of a sudden goes SLACK - I set the hook - out from the branches comes a 13" Blacknose that goes airborne over the front end of the boat and splashes down a good 5ft from the left side of the boat - then takes off like a bullet & strips a little drag - and after I tire the fish down and pull it over the side of the boat, I sit down in my seat and just sit there, stunned, until I gathered my wits enough to have a good laugh about the whole thing.
    Likes dhaire LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Nice crappie.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Hooked me a big Mohawk in the river the other day ...pushing 14 and really thick , first cast ...float went down like a bass took it ....set hook and the 8 foot mediums strains pretty hard and the drag starts up as it runs down stream , I say bass for sure ...turns upstream and I feal it tire a bit .....then.....up to the top it comes mid river head shaking like a bass ....heart stopper for sure ....lmao
    Love me some injun crappie for sure .....and as always ...Kaboom
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Thanks dhaire thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Now that is funny. Never heard it called a Mohawk before. Dad jumped in Normandy with one. Never connected the look to a fish. Ketchn-you are a character. Love it—kaboom back at you.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

I started calling them Mohawk crappie the first time I saw one back about 40 plus years ago . We ketched one and had no clue what the heck it was , we were ketching sunfish along the bank to use for striper and me and my bud both went what is up with this here crappie ? We thought it was something really special and no one we asked had a clue what the deal was either ....lol
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales