HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line size/type/color for stained water

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line size/type/color for stained water

Hello all i have been wondering about how much of a difference line makes. currently throwing 6lb sten fluorocarbon in open water visability is anywhere from 1-3 on a good day the rest of my waters visability is roughly 6" to 1.5 feet at best, mostly fishing standing trees an beaver huts in the muddy waters.
    My friends tell me to just throw 15-20lb braid year round, an they catch fish consistently but i know from experience braid is a pain its hard on equipment and it fades over time.
    Another buddy just throws 20lb red mono an catches fish but his jig looks like its suspended from steel cable. I used to throw 10 till the bite slowed in summer an 6lb is a fine line of breaking my loop knot 50% or loosing a fish/jig in cover.

How much lb can i go up without compromising jig action an catch rate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappiedayz View Post
    Another buddy just throws 20lb red mono ...
    What's he fishing for, tuna?

Personally, I never go over 4# for crappie.
    Likes Dollfly, Crestliner08 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

With visibility no greater than that, I can understand how larger pound test lines are still catching fish. But, there's hardly a need to go above 8lb test for Crappie. They're very unlikely to even break 4lb test, themselves. Many of our members routinely use 2# test and still put fish in the boat.

I'm currently using 6# test Vicious Copolymer hi-viz line and have yet to have a Crappie break my line. For a couple of decades prior to using Vicious, I was using several different brands and styles of 4lb test mono ... and don't remember ever having a Crappie breaks my line. Now, getting hung up and having to break off the jig ... yes. But, since I've mostly been using weedless jigheads over the years, I dare say that I've not had to break off a jig nearly as often as I would have had I been using an open hook jig. I've even straightened out the #4 bronze Aberdeen hooks with 4lb test.

Even using 15-20lb test braid is no guarantee that you'll get the jig back.

My personal opinion is use the lightest line you can, that works well with the rod/reel you're using it on, for the technique being used. I might even suggest using an Improved Clinch Knot, rather than the loop knot, if your breakage ratio is around 50%. I've used the Improved Clinch Knot most all my life, on lines from 4# to 20# (mono) and braid from 10# to 30# test ... and have less than a 5% breakage ratio. And yes, I use that knot tied directly to my baits and constantly catch fish, whether casting, trolling, jigging, or tightline fishing. (so, no ... I don't think it interferes with the action of the bait)
    Likes Crappiedayz LIKED above post

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I like 8 lb test and a clinch or uni knot .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Thanks chimneyman thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use 6 or 8 lb Vicious panfish hi viz never had a problem in any color water.It helps me detect slight bites.

Sent from my XT1565 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Share the outdoors with our Children.The world will be a better place.

Post Thanks / Like

deathbe4disco: haha i asked if their were sharks in the water

crappiepappy, nimrod: Always enjoy reading your replies an post. I used to tie a palmar knot but kinda learned the loop knot an saw alot of people using it, that and i dont like a swivel. Ill have to try the clinch knot. Does the hi viz make a difference? I used to have bright line in 6lb but just didnt like that i could see it so well, im used to throwing clear fluorocarbon for everything. I think 8# will be good year round. Should hold a fish in the brush wrapped up an i should be able to get better knot tie ratios reguardless of knot. Can honestly say i cannot see how anyone ties with 4# and less I tried 6 times before i relized it was me overpowering it haha

Post Thanks / Like

The paramount concerns with fishing for any species or water conditions should always be depth & speed control. If you focus on satisfying those two factors alone, you will be way ahead of the game. Personally, I use 2# test braid with a fluorocarbon leader. This gives me the sensitivity I need with the ability to control my depth accurately.

If you look to answer any fishing situation with those two controls in mind, you will be successful. In your case, it would be unnecessary to go to such a high pound test rated line. Most crappie fishing situations can be adequately address within the 4# - 6# test range of lines. But it all depends on where in the water column the fish are located and at what speed incites them to strike.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappiedayz View Post
    deathbe4disco: haha i asked if their were sharks in the water

crappiepappy, nimrod: Always enjoy reading your replies an post. I used to tie a palmar knot but kinda learned the loop knot an saw alot of people using it, that and i dont like a swivel. Ill have to try the clinch knot. Does the hi viz make a difference? I used to have bright line in 6lb but just didnt like that i could see it so well, im used to throwing clear fluorocarbon for everything. I think 8# will be good year round. Should hold a fish in the brush wrapped up an i should be able to get better knot tie ratios reguardless of knot. Can honestly say i cannot see how anyone ties with 4# and less I tried 6 times before i relized it was me overpowering it haha
    Actually, I use hi-vis line BECAUSE I "CAN" SEE it so well, as most of the time I am casting my baits, and with jigs I am slowly swimming them back to me on a slightly bowed line. Whenever that line "jumps" or goes slack on the retrieve, then I expect that to be a bite and set the hook immediately. With clear lines, I was having trouble seeing some hits under certain lighting conditions ... so much so & so often that I began dropping my rod tip during the retrieve, so as to wet the incoming line. I did that "wetting" maneuver so that the sunlight would reflect off the water on the line, so I could better see it. With hi-vis line, it's a very rare occasion that the lighting conditions interfere with me seeing the line.

With the sensitivity of the rod I'm using, I can often "feel" the bite, too. But, for some reason, I've always been faster on the hookset when seeing the line jump, than feeling the "thump" of a hit. May have something to do with my early learning years of watching the rod tip while "still fishing" minnows, or in later years watching the clear/blu mono lit up by a blacklight at night when worm fishing for Bass. It's just how I initially learned how to detect a bite when casting a jig ... and it's just stuck. It's become so ingrained in me (& my muscle memory) that sometimes I'm setting the hook before I even realize it.
    Likes Crestliner08, Crappiedayz, Cane Pole LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Haha well looks like its time to try new things. I like the looks of the p-line halo fluorocarbon, any differences in line type such as mono, fluorocarbon, ect,ect

Post Thanks / Like

I personally use 10lb PowerPro which is 2lb mono diameter. It has ultimate strength and sensitivity.

I had switched to mono because people said they see the line and it scares them. However, I did not see an increase of catch rate when I switched to mono, nor did I see a decrease in the catch rate when I switched back.
    I typically am fishing deep in a brush pile in murky water. The braided line will let you bend the hook instead of breaking the line. The only time that I break this line is if the fish wraps me around the branch where I cant just bend the hook to dislodge it.

Clear water may yield different results for the braid vs mono, but in murky water, I LOVE the braided line.
    Likes hdhntr LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast