Likes Likes:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling Motor Charging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Motor Charging

Ideas on charging a Gel Cell Battery, through the trolling motor female receptical?
    Setting up a small Jon boat and have no covered storage area, to keep an On Board, out of the weather, while on the water.
    Looked into a 40 Amp plug set, and thought about getting a second male plug end, to hook to the charger. Could hook up a "Battery Tender Plus" for down time, ( under a cover).
    Easier way, anyone?
    Thanks!
    Living by Faith and feel no alarm!
    Acts 2:38

Post Thanks / Like

I have just mounted an onboard charger on the transom wall and made a weather cover for it.

Heck this one is suppose to be waterproof and has a three year warranty. https://www.minnkotamotors.com/Batte...sion-Chargers/

I had an earlier model Minn Kota 6amp single bank on a jon but i only got about three years out of it, maybe this one is better.
    Thanks Yonder thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thats the kind of input I'm looking for,
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

A 2.5 gal bucket with a snap on lid (smaller version of the 5 gal) available at wally world would work, just make a slot or two for some cords and pretty watertight container.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember this, your charger creates heat so no mater how you try to seal it it has to have some ventilation. I did what you are talking about on a bass boat years ago,living in a apartment. I wired a plug to charger cables, plugged it in and ran extension cord. When charged just unplug and wind everything up. Worked fine.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cray View Post
    Remember this, your charger creates heat so no mater how you try to seal it it has to have some ventilation. I did what you are talking about on a bass boat years ago,living in a apartment. I wired a plug to charger cables, plugged it in and ran extension cord. When charged just unplug and wind everything up. Worked fine.
    If I go with the on board, the boat will have a cover on it. I suppose that would still be enough ventilation.
    Still kicking around ideas. Health is not great, so the less I gotta carry to the boat, and back, the better.
    Thanks!

Dutchman is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Genius advertise their onboard charger as waterproof. Probably some others also. Not sure about the longevity of leaving a item like that out in the elements though .

Post Thanks / Like

when i had my jon boat i used this and it worked great, its weather proof, it comes with 2 ends one clamp on and one can be onstalled on battery https://www.techbatterysolutions.com...rger-p/c18.htm