Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pulling cranks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pulling cranks.

Want to try pulling cranks. Is this just a summer time thing or will it work other times of the year?

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have caught with them in Dec and Feb.....but really works best in summer on white crappie that are suspended in open water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

my advise is to not invest a pile of money on special equipment until you figure out if you like this type of fishing. Plenty of videos on You Tube of doing this. From what I have read and found out, cranking really works better if your lakes has white crappie. I have not figured out the reasoning for this just yet. Im new to cranking this summer & have had very little success. But we have mostly Black crappie in our lakes in south Alabama.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johndeere5045 View Post
    my advise is to not invest a pile of money on special equipment until you figure out if you like this type of fishing. Plenty of videos on You Tube of doing this. From what I have read and found out, cranking really works better if your lakes has white crappie. I have not figured out the reasoning for this just yet. Im new to cranking this summer & have had very little success. But we have mostly Black crappie in our lakes in south Alabama.
    I think it's "more" of a White Crappie technique, simply because White Crappie tend to roam in open water more/more often than Black Crappie (which tend to be more cover oriented most of the time). Now, Black Crappie "will" hit a crank, but it's more likely to not be out in the open water flats where the White Crappie roam during those warm water periods.

Post Thanks / Like

As said above don't go out and buy a bunch of new equipment right off. Cranking can get very expensive quick. Use the rods you have, buy a few baits that the most used and maybe a homemade rod holders if you are handy with tools. If you like it, there is always someone selling good used rods and holders on here. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I caught crappie on cranks from feb thru December last year. This year I've caught crappie from march till current date and plan on still catching them till December this year. The advise previously stated is very good advice. Pulling cranks can be addictive. My advise is to go with someone and see if you enjoy yourself before spending money on a new technique.
    Likes "G", bandchaser LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I had some old bass rods I converted to crankin rods and I used the 12' rods I spider rig with. Got another mounting track for my rod holders and mounted those towards the back of my boat; use my regular rod holders. Bought 4 Shakespere line counter reels ( which someone else on here found them about $10 cheaper, ask around) and started out with about 20 cranks, Arkie 350's and Pico's. For me, start up costs were not terrible. Started catching fish consistently from the first trip and went this past Tuesday, still had a blast. I just hated putting so much line on those reels. Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you got a great start.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I am an expert at what don't work!
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

We put cranks up here in MN from ice out to ice on,great way to cover a lot of water and find active fish. By law we're only allowed one line per person open water fishing(two lines ice fishing) but on a good day we can still catch a nice amount of fish.My goto lures for Crappie are No.4 Shad Raps UV Orange and UV Pink and the ULC3 Rapalas have been really good too.
    We keep our equipment pretty simple,light action spin cast rods and reels with 6lb Nanofil line.