Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider rig reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider rig reels

Curious what everyone likes for reels on spider rig poles. I have a bunch of different ones on right now and have figured out cheapos aren't doing the job I need them to. My technique so far is to pull out line to land the fish so I may be working the reels harder then necessary. I thought the reel was just a line holder but actually when you really get into the fish or a big catfish or whitebass school it tears the cheapos apart...at least so far that is what I am noticing. I have only been doing this for a year. I have a couple of medium priced spinning reels that I like but have been trying to find a compact casting reel that would fit the bill, just to help keep everything cleaner when storing and transporting. Thanks for any suggestions. Of course I am trying not to break the bank.
    Likes j2will LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I just started spider rigging this year but I have left handed baitcasters with a thumb bar and have been happy so far. I always grab the pole with my right hand so it's easy to reel with my left or grab the net with my left while bringing in the fish with my right. It's really easy to just push the thumb bar if you need to let out some line while bringing in the fish too. Can do it one handed so to speak. It's also nice if you get hung up to just push the thumb bar and get to it as soon as you get a chance. The low profile bait casters don't take up as much room as spinning reels and are easy to put several rods together in a bundle if you need to. Just sharing what I'm using for now.
    Likes tigerinfielder3, feeshrman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Baitcasters are my favorite. really easy to let line out with one hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bowmender View Post
    Baitcasters are my favorite. really easy to let line out with one hand.
    I agree, I just switched over from spinning reels to baitcasters. Academy has a sale on some baitcasters for $14 each. I just got 8 and swapped all mine over. I think I’m going to buy a few more now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Southern Life Outdoors Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tigerinfielder3 View Post
    I agree, I just switched over from spinning reels to baitcasters. Academy has a sale on some baitcasters for $14 each. I just got 8 and swapped all mine over. I think I’m going to buy a few more now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :Ditto

Academy reels are cheap but good quality for the money. Tournament Choice is the brand. Very satisfied with mine.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the mini reels up until this year,I found the upside of them mainly how small and compact they were and the low price.The downside was no real drag on them,real low gear ratio and they didn't seem to last too long until something broke on them.I switched over to the low end Alpha baitcasters for this year and the only disadvantage on them to me is they are bigger then my mini reels and I have to work to get them to fit in my rod transportation rack,other then that I prefer them.
    Likes chimneyman, bwest90 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Zebco 202 dude. With the addition of a drag you just can't beat them. Lol

Sent from my Z831 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I run six poles all with Okuma Magda Pro line counters.
    dave
    in currituck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akaslyguy View Post
    I just started spider rigging this year but I have left handed baitcasters with a thumb bar and have been happy so far. I always grab the pole with my right hand so it's easy to reel with my left or grab the net with my left while bringing in the fish with my right. It's really easy to just push the thumb bar if you need to let out some line while bringing in the fish too. Can do it one handed so to speak. It's also nice if you get hung up to just push the thumb bar and get to it as soon as you get a chance. The low profile bait casters don't take up as much room as spinning reels and are easy to put several rods together in a bundle if you need to. Just sharing what I'm using for now.
    ^^^what he said!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Baitcasters with thumb bars
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Gindog LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast