PDA

View Full Version : Spider rig reels

Adam 1
09-21-2017, 07:24 PM
Curious what everyone likes for reels on spider rig poles. I have a bunch of different ones on right now and have figured out cheapos aren't doing the job I need them to. My technique so far is to pull out line to land the fish so I may be working the reels harder then necessary. I thought the reel was just a line holder but actually when you really get into the fish or a big catfish or whitebass school it tears the cheapos apart...at least so far that is what I am noticing. I have only been doing this for a year. I have a couple of medium priced spinning reels that I like but have been trying to find a compact casting reel that would fit the bill, just to help keep everything cleaner when storing and transporting. Thanks for any suggestions. Of course I am trying not to break the bank.

akaslyguy
09-21-2017, 08:07 PM
I just started spider rigging this year but I have left handed baitcasters with a thumb bar and have been happy so far. I always grab the pole with my right hand so it's easy to reel with my left or grab the net with my left while bringing in the fish with my right. It's really easy to just push the thumb bar if you need to let out some line while bringing in the fish too. Can do it one handed so to speak. It's also nice if you get hung up to just push the thumb bar and get to it as soon as you get a chance. The low profile bait casters don't take up as much room as spinning reels and are easy to put several rods together in a bundle if you need to. Just sharing what I'm using for now.

bowmender
09-21-2017, 08:46 PM
Baitcasters are my favorite. really easy to let line out with one hand.

tigerinfielder3
09-21-2017, 08:54 PM
Baitcasters are my favorite. really easy to let line out with one hand.

I agree, I just switched over from spinning reels to baitcasters. Academy has a sale on some baitcasters for $14 each. I just got 8 and swapped all mine over. I think Iím going to buy a few more now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crumpdoc
09-21-2017, 09:57 PM
I agree, I just switched over from spinning reels to baitcasters. Academy has a sale on some baitcasters for $14 each. I just got 8 and swapped all mine over. I think Iím going to buy a few more now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:Ditto

Academy reels are cheap but good quality for the money. Tournament Choice is the brand. Very satisfied with mine.

ad1974
09-22-2017, 03:53 AM
I used the mini reels up until this year,I found the upside of them mainly how small and compact they were and the low price.The downside was no real drag on them,real low gear ratio and they didn't seem to last too long until something broke on them.I switched over to the low end Alpha baitcasters for this year and the only disadvantage on them to me is they are bigger then my mini reels and I have to work to get them to fit in my rod transportation rack,other then that I prefer them.

jtresn
09-24-2017, 06:32 AM
Zebco 202 dude. With the addition of a drag you just can't beat them. Lol

Sent from my Z831 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

tahoe 50
09-24-2017, 03:54 PM
I run six poles all with Okuma Magda Pro line counters.

feeshrman
09-24-2017, 06:03 PM
I just started spider rigging this year but I have left handed baitcasters with a thumb bar and have been happy so far. I always grab the pole with my right hand so it's easy to reel with my left or grab the net with my left while bringing in the fish with my right. It's really easy to just push the thumb bar if you need to let out some line while bringing in the fish too. Can do it one handed so to speak. It's also nice if you get hung up to just push the thumb bar and get to it as soon as you get a chance. The low profile bait casters don't take up as much room as spinning reels and are easy to put several rods together in a bundle if you need to. Just sharing what I'm using for now.

^^^what he said!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"G"
09-24-2017, 07:54 PM
Baitcasters with thumb bars

Hammmerhead
09-24-2017, 10:03 PM
Frabill 101.

Cheap, small, very light, hold line just fine and 8 fit in my small rack no problem. Pulling line for depth adjustment is a cinch and doesn't twist the line. I sure wouldn't want to long line with them, but for spider rigging I love the simplicity and they're my favorite.

http://www.frabill.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/940x587/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/6/6/6699_-_straight_line_101_reel_1.png

mitch26
09-28-2017, 02:55 PM
I just bought 8 of these quantum ultrex reels from grizzlyjig for 25.99 a piece and they seem to work good so far and having a thumb bar to let the line out quick makes it nice.275599

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

akaslyguy
09-28-2017, 06:15 PM
That's the same ones I use. Except i got the left hand version. I like them.

Boa3
09-28-2017, 07:00 PM
Baitcaster with thumb bar. 14ft. pole

Prtly Cloudy
10-03-2017, 12:53 PM
I started using an ice fishing reel 2 years ago and love them. Sort of the same idea as the Frabil but they have a lot of the properties of a baitcaster also. They have a very sensitive star drag and a 2.5/1 gear ratio on the retrieve with a push button spool release. No line twist and don't need to use a lot of line to fill them.

murdok
10-03-2017, 01:38 PM
Curious what everyone likes for reels on spider rig poles. I have a bunch of different ones on right now and have figured out cheapos aren't doing the job I need them to. My technique so far is to pull out line to land the fish so I may be working the reels harder then necessary. I thought the reel was just a line holder but actually when you really get into the fish or a big catfish or whitebass school it tears the cheapos apart...at least so far that is what I am noticing. I have only been doing this for a year. I have a couple of medium priced spinning reels that I like but have been trying to find a compact casting reel that would fit the bill, just to help keep everything cleaner when storing and transporting. Thanks for any suggestions. Of course I am trying not to break the bank.

baitcaster with thumbar.... hard to beat. i went with the cappie maxx brand but only because they matched my rods color wise