HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marabou jig

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marabou jig

Name:  Screenshot_2017-09-19-11-53-15.jpeg
Views: 1372
Size:  23.1 KB
    Has anyone ever used this jig? I have a card of these in my arsenal, but have never used them.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I have tied some like this and have been told to trim the length of the tail so the fish don't "short strike" them. Just a thought!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That particular brand ... no.

That particular color scheme ... no.

That particular type of jig ... yes.

I did as RustyJig suggests, when casting this type of jig, and shortened the marabou tail by about half the distance between the hook bend and the longest part of the tail. But, when using this type of jig for trolling ... I used them as is. (because you don't usually get "tail nippers" when the jig is moving that fast)
    Likes Brimfisher LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm mainly asking about the color scheme. The type I know alot about.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe anything with black & contrasting chartreuse to be particularly attractive to crappie. However, I use mainly horsehead jigs tied that way with marabou and have rarely found them to short strike. So, I never trim.

By the way, a gray ghost pattern is exceptionally effective with the horsehead presentation. No reason why it wouldn't be just as effective with plain jigs tied with painted silver head & silver blade, gray chenille, and long flowing gray marabou. Skiptomylou ties some fantastic jigs.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Thanks pescador thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

That type of jig is all we had for the first 30 or so years of my life. They always produced then.

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I would make a round to all the walmarts on the south and east side of Memphis once per week. Back then the marabou jigs came in a 10 pk for $1 and one color. My first stop they were $0.25 per pack so I picked the ones I wanted. 4 cards of 12 packs of each color and size. Then to the next store, they were $0.10 per pack. I picked all the pegs off the board and dumped them in my cart.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments, but has anyone had much luck with these exact same colors?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbush View Post
    Thanks for the comments, but has anyone had much luck with these exact same colors?

Red head - dark green body - fluorescent yellow tail ... right ??

I see no reason why those colors are any better or worse than any other color scheme. And we all already know that what the fish will scarf up today, they may turn their nose up at tomorrow. Best thing to do with them is tie them on & see what the fish think about them. My guess is they'll likely hit them, say ..... 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time, you won't be putting them in the strike zone of the fish or there are no fish around to see them.
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Red head - dark green body - fluorescent yellow tail ... right ??

I see no reason why those colors are any better or worse than any other color scheme. And we all already know that what the fish will scarf up today, they may turn their nose up at tomorrow. Best thing to do with them is tie them on & see what the fish think about them. My guess is they'll likely hit them, say ..... 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time, you won't be putting them in the strike zone of the fish or there are fish around to see them.
    No actually its a black body. Red head, black body, yellow tail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast