Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: weedless!

Post Thanks / Like

Default weedless!

I have used various types of weedless jig heads. I have had a lot of hits and a lot of fish not hanging on very long. I have used the wired jigs and the slider jigs. Even though I skin hook them very litely they seem to not hold a fish like I feel they should.Am I doing something wrong??????????Thanks guys, for any input...........crappie1133

Post Thanks / Like

use an attractant..I use crappie nibbles and dry them out just a little so they stay on good,and sometimes I use spray too. Yum shad works pretty good for me and if the old Bait mate is okay...some days one is better than another. I always try to at least catch some bluegill when I start fishing for anything...I want that fish smell on the lure..my hands...the pole..

I like braid for the sliders so I can feel a take better and drive the hook through...I trim the guards off if they extend way beyond the hook.

A lot of people don't know how often a fish inhales their bait and blows it right back out. I learned that fish clear streams as a kid...I could see fish do that hanging over them from a bluff or tree...you can't believe how good they can do that sometimes... you will never see the line move or feel anything if they do it real fast.

With good scent on the lure they like they will swallow the dang thing if you don't set the hook fast enough sometimes...catch a lot more fish deep hooked

If you don't understand the role scent plays in fishing,trapping and hunting your behind the game in the outdoors

Post Thanks / Like

interesting thought. I have scent on the boat but don't use it. Maybe I should start. I have them nibbles also.
    dave
    in currituck
    Likes Quailtail LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used a lot of different styles of weedless jig heads, myself ... and they've all worked as intended. The biggest single factors I've seen in using them, and sticking fish, is retrieving them on slightly slack line and setting the hook FAST at the slightest indication of a hit.

It's my belief that the slight bow in the line (from not reeling in very fast) does a couple of things : one, it allows the bait to be sucked in by the fish without any rod tip resistance, and also allows the angler to better "see" the line movements caused by that fish sucking the bait into its mouth. That's also why I set the hook "fast", so that I don't give the fish time to reject the bait. But, it's also because a quick snap hookset produces more power at the hookpoint than a heavy handed pull hookset. That's something I learned many decades ago, from Hank Parker on his TV show. Here's a more recent video, describing the same thing :

https://www.facebook.com/hankparkers...1605624580094/
    Likes Crestliner08, minnowtime, Quailtail LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

What CP said!! I always use nibbles, a minnow in a pill!!

Post Thanks / Like

Stiffer rod, braided line, quicker hookset.
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."