HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After market tilt/trim units

Post Thanks / Like

Default After market tilt/trim units

Opinions on CMC (pt 35), panther, etc. Pros-cons.
    Contemplating purchasing and installing one. Boat is a g3 1756. I just put on a '93 25hp remote as the main engine.
    Ideally I'd have switches on the engine, console, and bow.
    I have a switch (on-off-on rocker) on the bow from previous engine, can that switch be reused? Will the wiring to that switch need upsized?

Thanks
    Drinkin coffee, missin fish.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a cmc pt35 on my Crappie Jon. The unit came with an on/on center off/ momentary switch. All the switch current needed is to operate a relay pair, on up and one down, or about .1 amp.

I suggest you change the rocker switch to an on/on center off momentary. The wiring should be ok to carry 100 milliamps give or take a few millies required to operate the up/down direction relays.

There are no travel limit switches that I am aware of on the lift motor that I have. It growls when it stalls with max trim up or down.

I have had no troubles with the pt35 except it ain't used enough.

PS

I also wired my remote handle trim switch so I can trim on the run. Easy to do.

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Thanks skunked again thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! You put a switch on the throttle handle? That's where it was on my last engine, course that was stock. Their is a spot on this one where a switch could go. Now you got me thinking.
    Another question, with stock tilt trim, when you trim down on transom saver (for trailering) the engine doesn't move. With out stock t/t it will still bounce. Do you secure the engine and transom saver somehow?
    Thanks greenie thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

No I used the existing trim switch in throttle handle. I also used the switch which comes with the wiring harness. 2 switches total. One in the throttle and one aft near the engine. The switches work in parallel and are not mutually exclusive.

I mounted the switch that came with the cmc in a box aft. I also put the relays and the extra long wiring in the box. I just stuffed it in the box to get it out of the way. I used a 6 x 6 inch waterproof equipment box I purchased from Graybar Electric in Memphis.

You don't need a box. I just like stuff to look neat.

I would show some pictures but photobucket has my pictures held for ransom money.

Post Thanks / Like

If you lived closer, I could help you out. I can't do much, but I am still pretty good at telling people what to do and where to go.
    Likes Redge, skiptomylu LIKED above post

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bobs trim and tilt plate out of Fla. built great and can't fine a bad review on it anywhere. If you get the one that stores the hydraulic pump inside the boat, it's a 5 yr warranted. Had mine 2 yrs now and love it.
    Bob's Tilt and Trim + Tilt/Jack Combo

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Bobs trim and tilt plate out of Fla. built great and can't fine a bad review on it anywhere. If you get the one that stores the hydraulic pump inside the boat, it's a 5 yr warranted. Had mine 2 yrs now and love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Cane Pole - thank you very much! When it gets time, I'll pick your brain!

Cevans - what factor (s) made you go with Bob's?

Right now I'm looking at all options.

Post Thanks / Like

The CMC's over time have constantly had a problem of not lasting long and breakdown. Not all, but some. If you look at the reviews where they are sold, you will find them. Bob's Machine Shop is a shop in Fla. that builds their jack plates, trim and tilt units for racing and I just haven't found any bad reviews even tho I know there has to be one out there. When I installed mine here in Indiana, I now have 2 marine dealerships now dealing in Bob's over CMC and they are selling heck out of their hydraulic jack plates as well as the trim and tilt. I have used heck out of mine with no problem or decrease in main battery power from using it on a G 3 1648 and have a 2016 Yamaha 25 hp attached and when planed out, can get 26-27 mph on gps and boat loaded has to be hitting 1500 lbs of weight so very happy with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast