HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ram mount on small aluminum boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ram mount on small aluminum boat

Got this for my 899 i can put two bolts thru it to mount on the gunnel im just wondering if it will rip out. My gunnel is only 1in wide. Your thoughts

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

I fish a all weld flat bottom river boat and had to mount a ram mount also, I found some 1/4 " aluminum and made a piece to mount on my braces. Think mine sre about 11-12 inches apart, mounted the plate to that and then the ram mount to the plate, much more secure.
    I wouldn't trust it, in rough water those things take a beating, the mire secure the better, hate to see my Mega 10 go downRam mount on small aluminum boat

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Likes mighty LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Could you get your hands on a small piece of aluminum like 3/16 " thick. mount the ram mount to that on the outside bolt holes then screw the aluminum plate to the gunnel. You could even bend the aluminum plate to contour over the edges to give it more strength. If you have a fabricator in your area they could bend it up for you pretty cheap.

stormcloud is online now Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you will tear up the base of the ram mount with just two bolts in it and very little surface where it is bolted. I've
    been wrong before.
    Tell'em I'll be there.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd build a bracket to mount it on. Two bolts makes a good pivot point, not a solid mount. Do you know anyone close to you who welds aluminum?

Post Thanks / Like

I got some aluminum angle. In thinking cut 2 5" pieces, and bolt them to the inside and outside of the gunnel. Then mount the ram mount on top of that. Will post pics

Post Thanks / Like

That will likely work out just fine. I'd through bolt the angle on. Don't use something like self tapping screws.

The reason I asked if you knew anyone to weld aluminum is because I was going to offer to give you some 1/4" aluminum plate to get welded on your boat, or you could pull it over and I could weld it on after normal working hours at the shop.
    Thanks mighty thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Better, put 2 one inch bolts with washer and lock nuts. Noe i can have two screws in gunnel and two on the plates

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FurFlyin View Post
    That will likely work out just fine. I'd through bolt the angle on. Don't use something like self tapping screws.

The reason I asked if you knew anyone to weld aluminum is because I was going to offer to give you some 1/4" aluminum plate to get welded on your boat, or you could pull it over and I could weld it on after normal working hours at the shop.
    Fur you in Madison huntsville

Post Thanks / Like

That angle looks good, you should be set with that design

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast