HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about weedless jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about weedless jigs

I've been using the 1/16 oz. jig heads with the "Y" plastic weedguard. Now these jigs are molded on the "sickle" style hook, which do not bend (but they definitely break if you try to straighten them). The problem I'm having is with hook set.

I'm using a B n' M 7" SHSS with a braid mainline and a 4' section of fluorocarbon going to the jigs. Casts beautifully. But my hook-up ratio is becoming terrible with these jigs! Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what, but when I switch to standard open hooks, my ratio goes back up again.

What am I missing here?
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you setting the hook "lighter", being as you have braid/fluoro line ?? Are you watching the line or waiting to feel the hit ??

I can't imagine the Y guard being the problem, since I started with them on 1/16oz jigs w/#4 Aberdeen hooks using 4# test mono on a UL rod (and a 7' Sam Heaton) and saw no hookup ratio problems. And now I'm using them with #2 Aberdeen hooks and 6# test on my 6'6" ESP and my 6' Ardent rods, and am not having hookup problems.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the braid & fluoro for several years now and am quite use to the hookset (with regular jigs). If the Y-guard is not the problem, maybe it's just a coincidence that I'm experiencing these problems? I'll continue to work with them to see if they can become part of my arsenal. But right now I'm just having doubts.

I also tried the CB Slider heads and am having problems getting connected with those as well! I push the hook completely through the plastic and push it back in, but again, I'm getting plenty of hits, but with few connects. It could be a mind-set thing too, but I do enjoy trying new things and I am usually open to new tackle & techniques.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the regular jig weedguards for mine, i used to leave all 9 fibers kinda fanned out but realized it had a lot of drag in the water and i was missing fish aswell. I now cut them down to only 4 fibers and split those 4 into a Y shape, my hang ups havent increased and i noticed a much quicker fall rate an hook up ratio too. I cut a few down to only two fibers thinking one on each side will work but it wasnt enough to keep it from rolling over.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    I've been using the braid & fluoro for several years now and am quite use to the hookset (with regular jigs). If the Y-guard is not the problem, maybe it's just a coincidence that I'm experiencing these problems? I'll continue to work with them to see if they can become part of my arsenal. But right now I'm just having doubts.

I also tried the CB Slider heads and am having problems getting connected with those as well! I push the hook completely through the plastic and push it back in, but again, I'm getting plenty of hits, but with few connects. It could be a mind-set thing too, but I do enjoy trying new things and I am usually open to new tackle & techniques.
    I use the brush guard, y guard, and slider style head. I am usually dropping straight down in the brush when using these. I lacked confidence in hookups as well, and just forced myself to use them. I honestly don't notice a problem, but I guess it's possible that they are just nailing a jig dropped straight down in the brush?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ET Fish View Post
    I use the brush guard, y guard, and slider style head. I am usually dropping straight down in the brush when using these. I lacked confidence in hookups as well, and just forced myself to use them. I honestly don't notice a problem, but I guess it's possible that they are just nailing a jig dropped straight down in the brush?
    Yeah, I think it's probably just a confidence thing with me. Like I said, I'll continue to try, but it's tough sometimes. Most of our fishing is not vertical in brush, but rather casting & trolling along dense weedlines.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Yeah, I think it's probably just a confidence thing with me. Like I said, I'll continue to try, but it's tough sometimes. Most of our fishing is not vertical in brush, but rather casting & trolling along dense weedlines.
    FYI ... I don't use weedless jigs for trolling. I don't trust the fish to hold onto the jig long enough (or hard enough) to allow rod tension to make the hook penetrate the roof of their mouths. I don't have much experience trolling with them ... I just trust open hook jigs more when I don't have the rod in my hand when the fish hits.

I like to "see" the hit (line movement) when I'm casting, which is why I reel slow enough to keep a slight bow in the line as I retrieve (plus I use hi-vis line). If I want to feel the hit, like when I'm using my 7' Bionic Blade rod & braid (tied directly to jig), I will pinch on a small sinker about 12" up the line from the jig. I did that one time, a couple of years back, and was surprised at how hard the "thump" felt ... even from the 9" fish I was catching.

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, I feel the Y gaurs is too stiff. I too trim about half the fibers off my weedless. Sometimes I wonder if I'm missing the fish or is the fish just kind of pushing the jig away.

Post Thanks / Like

Get rid of that limp wrist rod and get a rod with some backbone. When you set the hook with that rod it takes too much time to move the hook. 7' fast action medium light or even medium.
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post
    Thanks etexbasser thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    Get rid of that limp wrist rod and get a rod with some backbone. When you set the hook with that rod it takes too much time to move the hook. 7' fast action medium light or even medium.
    Agreed. I don't often use weedless jigs, but when I do, I use heavier action rods.
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast