HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fall tips for a new guy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fall tips for a new guy

Ok since my first crappie fishing year keeps progressing i notice fall which here in tx is sometimes 2 days or 2 weeks maybe 2 months at best with this lovely tx weather, anyway are the summer crappie that are out deep going to make a run all the way back to their spawning grounds? For me that means crystal clear 1-5 foot water 2-5 miles up from main river channel. Or are they going to stage on a ledge, point, hump, tree line, halfway into the creeks? I have read that they will come up then go back deep for winter. Could they possibly crash the banks of the main lake points provided it had cover?

Trying to eleminate wasted fishing efforts best i can

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's where crappie "should be" given water temp at certain times of year ...

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/archi...appie-degrees/

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor
    Likes akaslyguy, chippo LIKED above post
    Thanks chimneyman, Jman5626, don johnson thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very helpful, it was like i could feel where they could be as i kept reading

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

chippo
    #Raymarine PRO STAFF
    CHIPPO FISHING / YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the fish I am catching right now are doing one of three things.
    (1) waiting for feeding time...to feed right now they have to go out and chase the roaming shad schools or pick an ambush point where they may swim by close. If they are not actively feeding they are holding near on structure on the main lake or just inside a cove or creek arm that has quick access and a short swim to the schools of shad.They will bite but you need to get it close to them and entice them a little with just the right thing.
    (2) Following close to or below the shad schools roaming...sometimes hard to catch at this stage...they are preparing to feed but not quite ready.
    (3) Herding the shad toward shallower water on a mid lake hump or drop off,grass bed,etc. where they can rush them and have a better chance of catching them then open deep water. Now's the best time to catch them. Throw into the shad with something that matches them and don't fish to slow...you want to look like one of the shad escaping. I just cast and reel with a shad profile jig.

In some places it will be mostly crappie in the chase....others it will be bass ,bluegill , crappie and other species all working it...you can't help but catch them all if your bait looks right.

Even though the fish are frenzy feeding more or less at times you still have to throw the right thing. Wrong profile or color and you may catch some but most will snub their nose at it. You want to fool them...it looks enough like what they are chasing and they won't take time to eyeball it...they will just grab it before it has a chance to get away like the shad.
    Likes Crappiedayz LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to say because I don't know your lake but I can tell you how I fish in the fall and some of it my work on you neck of the woods. Shooting dock is my favorite way to fish in fall. Second is find a creek with current and fish Lay downs and brush , I have even caught them in shoals. Best of luck hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Likes Crappiedayz LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

i have one good dock that seems to hold every crappie in the marina and a river bend where a old marina used to be its got two long rip rap points hitting main river channel 35-18 on end of point then 18-12 coming into the man made cove an slowly drifting to nothing until you see this drain pipe with brush that used to be under water. I hate when the lake drops...
    adjacent to the points is a small creek with two rocky humps water from 0-12 then off into river channel at 30+ im thinkin some stake beds need placing and to start finding the shad. I love this forum it offers so much help an saves me wasted water

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    Here's where crappie "should be" given water temp at certain times of year ...

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/archi...appie-degrees/

Rickie
    Good info there.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app