Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Yamaha 25 Long Shaft Motor????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yamaha 25 Long Shaft Motor????

Hello guys,
    I am confused. I had one boat dealer tell me that Yamaha does not offer a long (20") shaft on their 25 HP motor. I had another boat dealer tell me they do offer a long shaft 25. The Yamaha WEB page does not list a long shaft 25. Do any of you guys know?
    Also, do any of you have an opinion on using the 25hp on a 16' War Eagle alluminum boat? Do you think the 25 would do the job or should I spend the extra $1000 and get a 40hp?
    Thanks,
    TheHawg

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about the shaft lenghs but I am sure that if you get the 25, you are going to be wondering about how much better off you would have been with the 40. Go with the 40 if you can. You won't regret it and you never know when you might need to get off the water in a hurry. You know, like a storm coming or a battleship coming straight at you.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I would also suggest the 40 over the 25. You won't regret it.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hawg ...

all boats will perform at their optimum best, with the maximum sized motor that they're rated for. Underpowered boats tend to use more gas, run slower (plow rather than plane), and put a greater strain on the smaller motors - possibly leading to frequent repairs and/or tune-ups.

I'm guessing that you want a 20" shaft 25HP motor because the transom height of the 16' WarEagle is the standard 21" (and a 40HP shaft is 20") ... that, in itself, should give you pause, to reflect on your choice of motor size.

Also - from what I can ascertain from searching on the web .... Yamaha does make a 25HP Longshaft, but seems to be a European/Australian market motor. That may be why the two dealer's statements conflict.

Anyway - I commend you on your choice of motor. ....luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Hawg, I've run both the 25 and the 40 on very similar boats. The 25's perform adequately unless you really load 'em down. Most people would prolly be very satisfied with the 25.

Having said that, if money isn't an object, get the 40, you won't regret it.

Now I'm really going to throw you a curve, sitting within about 30 feet of me is a 16' jon with an almost new 25 merc 2 stroke on it, and an 18' jon with a BRAND new Suzuki 40 four stroke with about 4 hours on it. It's simple, (and your pocket book is gonna hate this,) get the 4 stroke! You realy won't regret that. Lord it hurts me to say that.......but it's true. :D
    'Carpe Diem' does not mean "fish of the day."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hawg

I currently own a 2001 25hp Yamaha 4 stroke and it's hands down the best motor I have ever owned. Great on gas and it's so Quite at times you can't even hear it run when it's idleing. One draw back is my boat ''17' Ranger Cherokee'' will only top out at about 22mph with the 25hp. So if 20mph is to slow for you then, I think you know the answere. I personally will Never own a 2 stroke again
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

4 stroke is worth the extra dollars
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i would go for the four stroke but i du use a 25 hp on my 15 and it is not a light boat but fully riged full of gas and two people i can get about 27 mph.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Yamaha 25 long shaft 4-stroke on a 17 ft war-eagle the boat has a aluminum floor and 6 ft gun box. A
    And will run 28 MPH using the GPS down river at Pickwick dam. And 24 up river that is with me in it.
    Also this boat is rated for a 50 hp. The 25 is OK. But If I ever put a new motor on it. It will be at least a 40 ho 4-stroke.
    And i have 2 4-strokes and will never go back to a 2-stroke.

Pete