Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A good start to September (9-2-17)

Post Thanks / Like

Default A good start to September (9-2-17)

With the rain slated to hit later in the evening, I loaded up and hit the water about 5pm yesterday. Weather was very cloudy, with just a hint of a breeze from the east rather than the west or northwest. I set up with the 2 poles as usual for a bit of trolling to start, with the same 2 color combinations as last time and rowed around slowly for nearly an hour with no takers. I then eased over closer to the weed line and began casting, switching between the 2 colors. 1st to score was the green/white tail with a small bluegill, then another, then this jumbo perch:Name:  IMG_0603.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  68.7 KB

A bit more casting a bit further up the way added 2 small crappie which were released without photo's, one on each lure color. I then went back to trolling and began to get more action. Name:  IMG_0605.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  73.2 KBName:  IMG_0606.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  71.0 KBName:  IMG_0607.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  75.6 KB

I kept a total of 9 crappie, most of them 9-10" with a couple nudging 12" and the one perch. It was sort of a slow action evening but I enjoyed it regardless. I did see quite a few schools grouped up throughout the day, water temp was down another couple of degrees to 67-68 and the thermocline was down another foot or so in the 17' range out in the middle. On the shelf where I'm concentrating my efforts the layering is not noticeable on the sonar. I've also switched over to the "clear view" rather than the "max view" and boosted the sensitivity way up while viewing the 2D screens and that has eliminated quite a bit of the interference I was getting these last trips.
    Raining hard here today so no plans to go back out but we'll see what tomorrow brings.
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Great job out there! We haven't been out for awhile due to medical problems, but hopefully in another week or so.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya on the medical problems. I'll have my own to deal with later in the month which is why I'm getting in some time now. I don't expect to be laid up too long but you never know.
    I'll be reading all about your trips at that point!
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Great trip. Hoping to get out this weekend. It's been almost a month since I've been able to wet a line. I'm going nuts around the house hoping to get out.
    Tight lines to you.