HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ohio River Tribs 8-31-17

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ohio River Tribs 8-31-17

Finally got out again after a long summer. Pretty good day for the end of August finished with a even dozen keeper crappie all over 10" & a little bit of everything else in the process. Crappie, Bluegill, Bass & Catfish. One of those days where the fish were hungry. The storm that rolled thru here back in July certainly made big changes in the structure in our local creeks. Really flushed some of them out. Several spots with 2-3 ft. changes in water depth. I guess a 7" rainfall over 8 hour period will do that. I hope to never see a rainfall like that again. Old favorites (brushpiles/stumps) are gone now & lots of new ones in their place. Finding structure in deeper (7-8ft.)water or shaded brush was key yesterday. Water temps were 74 to 78 & water clarity was good in all but one creek that I was in. I caught a couple casting jigs but most fish were caught under a slip bobber/minnow rig. As the water cools it will only get better. I look for a exceptional Fall/Winter season.
    Likes M R Dux, bandchaser, Clint, crappiemax, Bassky LIKED above post
    Thanks PawPaw Gene thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a good trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go KYcreek. Looks like you had some fun.
    LittleJohn

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That seems to happen on Taylorsville Lake, now & then. Lake floods, then some old trees & brushpiles are moved ... and the next thing you know, you find a new downed tree or pile. If you're the first to find & fish it, you might go gangbusters on them for awhile, then others find them and it's back to taking a number & getting in line !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kycreek View Post
    As the water cools it will only get better. I look for a exceptional Fall/Winter season.
    Me too! The month of November seems to be the magic time for crappie in the OH river creeks. It's been the most consistently good fishing the last few years for me. I guess they come in from the main river and stack up in the deeper pools around structure. By 2nd half of December once the water dips into the mid 40s and below, the bite seems to fall off precipitously, at least for me. But you can still catch them with a lot more patience.