Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Nuclear Waste Dump to become a Park? Yea Right! Hit me again Please?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nuclear Waste Dump to become a Park? Yea Right! Hit me again Please?

I found this article interesting. Not sure how true it may be but if it's true it's pretty scary.

http://www.grist.org/news/muck/2005/...le-rockyflats/

If they did this in Colorado I wonder what they did during WWII when they developed the bomb at different places.

Can we trust the DOE?
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    I found this article interesting. Not sure how true it may be but if it's true it's pretty scary.

If they did this in Colorado I wonder what they did during WWII when they developed the bomb at different places.

Can we trust the DOE?
    SURE! They are as trustworthy as any other branch of the goverment! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Atleast you will not need a night light. lol
    Today is a great day

Post Thanks / Like

Default Moose

Can we trust the DOE?

With this current bunch in the white house right now one thing we know besides many others they have no regard for the eviroment.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

looks a lot like yellow journalism to me

Post Thanks / Like

Can we trust the DOE?
    Rocky Flats has been an issue for many, many years. This is not the first time there have been investagations regarding the how this poorly managed facility has been operated.

Just as concerning however, is the very obvious trend for those unknowing to cover everything in a cloak of patrotism when confronted with issues like these. It's an easy no brainer way to shuffle off issues.

Today, any reporting that points the finger at government irresponsibility smacks of left wing, liberal politics. However, burying one's head in the conservative soil will not serve the country or it's children in the long run.

Continuing to "question authority" has served to keep our government accountable, serving notice that citizens are watching what they do in deplorable places like the Rocky Flats waste land.

Any attempt at discrediting indivuals who have conviction and courage enough to speak out about what they know first hand of the well publicized cover ups at Rocky Flats, is in it's trendy complacient ignorance as dangerous as the problem itself.
    "You should have been here yesterday!"

Post Thanks / Like

We have that here in Missouri, The Busch Wildlife conservation area is built on a Nuclear Storage Dump that is being monitered heavily for polution.

Post Thanks / Like

Here were I live they took a closed dump site and turned it into a soccer field and park for the kids. For many years after the park was built they have a outflow of Orange Colored Liquid oozing out of the ground and running off into a nearby creek that eventually flowed into the Ohio River. I have not been out to that old landfill in many years but I was at a business that is located within a 1/2 mile of the site. We were testing the air inside the basement of that business for Methane Gas. They had small quanaties of methane gas seeping though the basement walls. Guess where that gas came from. You guessed right if you said the nearby landfill.

When I studied environmental science at Purdue the professors often talked about making parks from old landfills. But I would recommend against doing that from what I have seen.

We have another old city dump that is not a park with baseball diamond and a golf driving range over the dump. I can remember back when I was in High School when that dump often caugth on fire and burned for weeks uncontrolled.

I have seen superfund sites and have seen other sites where 55 gallon drums of old paint thinners and god only knows what were burried on old industrial sites. A certain company was digging up those barrels and remediating that industrial site. They drums were placed inside big BFI dumpsers and hauled away somewhere unknown to me. God only knows where they ended up.

I have seen some retail store sites that were next to old gas stations. The gasoline in the underground tanks had leaked out as the steel tanks over the years had rusted and corroded. The corroded metal in the tanks allows holes to develop and the gasoline was leaking out over long periods of time before they shut the station down. Gasoline had accumulated in the underground sand strata and leaked into the water table. A environmental remediation company that I worked for use a pump and filter system to draw up water from the ground and to try to filter the water with activated charcoal filters and water/oil seperators. That project was ongoing for a year or more. I doubt that it will ever completely remove all the gasoline from under that building.

After I left a certain company I read in the paper that they were involved in another environmental clean up. This site was found to have hypodermic needles dumped all over a wooded area. I assume it was hospital waste and someone dumped that in the wooded area to avoid the cost of a legal cleanup.

I doubt that any reporter that uncovers a story about radiation that has the potential to harm US citizens as being a communist. I personally would call them a patriot. We need to know about things that can do harm to us. I am more afraid of being radiated and developing cancer than I am of the old Soviet Union starting WWIII.

These harmful dump sites need to be located and the radiation levels need to be monitored and they should be avoided if there is a radiation hazard. We should not sweep the dust under the rug and pretend that is not there. That would be a huge mistake IMHO.

But like I said at the begining of this tread. I don't know if that store is true or not. But IF IT WERE TRUE then we need to prevent this from happening again. If it's something that is made up then that is a much different story. Why would someone make something like that up? It's real easy to find the truth as we have methods of measuring radiation in the air, soil and water. I had one Bionucleonics type class at Purdure that allowed us to observe some radiation measurements that the professor conducted with a liquid sentilation analyzer. And I have used a giger counter in class a few times. I have taken some US Civil Defence classes in using a giger counter also. So it would be hard to lie about radiation contamination as it's easily show to be either true or not. But then again it depends on who is conducting the testing. Test can be conducted in ways that will be designed to either find something or not find something. Methods can be use that work or don't work. Only by conducting spit testing techniques with double blind analyzis can you really know what the truth is.

Sampling methodolgy must be designed to actually find something. And laboratory analysis should be performed by differnet labs on the same samples that are spit up and sent to more than one labortory. The two labs analyzing the samples should come up with very similar results. If not then the lab analysis is suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Raintree
    We have that here in Missouri, The Busch Wildlife conservation area is built on a Nuclear Storage Dump that is being monitered heavily for polution.
    Regards,

Moose1am