HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any issues towing pontoons often?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any issues towing pontoons often?

Question for anyone with a pontoon. I bought one to fish out of because we are on Lake Tillery in NC and I can just leave it in the water. I sold my skiff when I bought it. Only problem is before I would fish any lake within 3 hours of me and really enjoyed that. I have a nice trailer for the pontoon. Is there any issues pulling pontoons often to and from different lakes? I know they are a little harder to pull, but it actually loads on the trailer easier than my skiff. I know several guides use them so I am assuming they pull them almost daily to different lakes.

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They are no different than pulling a large bass boat. Make sure to have a spare tire and tools to change a tire in case of a flat.

Post Thanks / Like

Dual axle trailer makes it easier. Bring a spare hub also. Besides that, just take it a little easier on the curves and bumps. They are fun with all that room. I can fish out of the front and my kids can have a picnic and nap in the back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes crp4570, strmwalker LIKED above post
    Thanks chimneyman thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was freaked out about that too when I was looking few months back. But no issues just wider than boats I have pulled in past.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

strmwalker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

very good advise given !!! I can only add this to it ; make sure your tow vehicle is BIG enough to pull it and have the weight and the BRAKES TO STOP IT !!! and don't get in no hurry , and most of all enjoy your FISHING !!!

"What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday"
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point. "AMEN"
    Likes skunked again, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Was going to say that depending on how abrasive the pavement is, it wears through the pontoons quickly, but you said you had a good trailer ?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Check this out about over drive also.
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/off-t...ng-boat-drive/
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Ordered a spare tire yesterday. If you see a big ol black bennington pontoon headed to a lake in nc or sc, just follow me to the lake. Got plenty of room for you.
    Likes scrat, Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

There are a few more things one need to know pulling a pontoon! There are more things to do compared to other boats, like make sure the top is down and set in place, Lots of things can blow out easier so make sure no loose items laying around. I had one for a little while and think I had more things blow out and forget things than any other boat I ever had. So just make sure all is ready to go before out take off!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of pontoons being towed in our neck of the woods. One thing that I see everyday is a lack of appropriate towing mirrors on the towing rig where the driver can't see around the bow of their pontoon. If you're going to be towing frequently or over any distance, I would suggest looking into aftermarket tow mirror options so that you can see what is going on with your entire load and be more aware of other vehicles next to and behind you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast