Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jig Pole tying - help please

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig Pole tying - help please

Sorry for the lame questions, I tried to research it first w/o any luck.
    I go walking every evening along a trail next to the river w/ my family. I bought a B'n'M jig pole, 12' telescopic, to take along w/ me for when i feel an itch. This is the first one I've ever bought/used and I'm pretty much ignorant to this thing. I fish mostly from banks w/ a spincast setup for crappie or baitcaster for bass. I just thought this would be convenient for jerking up some bream for fun while we were out exercising (or maybe I just want to get out of exercising?).
    Firstly, it says to not tie directly to the eye, but to run the line through the eyelet and tie to the tip. What kind of knot?
    Secondly, I'm figuring about 2' of line? If thats the case, I'm guessing I would have untie and retie every time I compacted the rod?
    Thirdly, I'm guessing the two metal clips above the handle are for wrapping your line once you untie?
    Once again, sorry for the ignorant questions.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb M.s. .......

Quote Originally Posted by Micropterus salmoides
    Sorry for the lame questions, I tried to research it first w/o any luck.
    I go walking every evening along a trail next to the river w/ my family. I bought a B'n'M jig pole, 12' telescopic, to take along w/ me for when i feel an itch. This is the first one I've ever bought/used and I'm pretty much ignorant to this thing. I fish mostly from banks w/ a spincast setup for crappie or baitcaster for bass. I just thought this would be convenient for jerking up some bream for fun while we were out exercising (or maybe I just want to get out of exercising?).
    Firstly, it says to not tie directly to the eye, but to run the line through the eyelet and tie to the tip. What kind of knot?
    Secondly, I'm figuring about 2' of line? If thats the case, I'm guessing I would have untie and retie every time I compacted the rod?
    Thirdly, I'm guessing the two metal clips above the handle are for wrapping your line once you untie?
    Once again, sorry for the ignorant questions.
    The directions, to not tie the line directly to the tip eye, are to keep you from breaking the tip from too much pressure .... losing tip, tip eye, line, bait, and fish, in the process
    On my 10ft & 12ft collapsable fiberglass "longpoles" ... I have them strung with 17lb Cortland Braid, 6lb mono leader (w/hook & sinker attached to leader - slipfloat & bobber stopper above that). Used to use these to Crappie fish the Button Bushes of Barkley Lake. What I did, to secure the line on them, was to wrap the line about 6 times around the handle end ... then tape that down. Then I spiral wrapped the line around the fully extended pole, about 2 wraps every foot. I taped the line, again, at the breakdown section. Then wrapped the upper section of the rod, just like I did the lower section. When I got to the tip eye, I ran the line thru the tip eye, and wrapped it about 3 times, around the tip eye, and then ran the line inside those 3 loops. From there, I pulled off the same amount of line as the length of the rod, and cut it. I have no "line retainer clips" ... so, this way I have "extra" line (wrapped around the rod), in case of break-offs.
    I collapse the rod and spiral wrap the "tip to leader" portion of the line, around the collapsed rod ... and bury the hook into the tape.
    I've lifted 2+lb Crappie, up out of the water, and from the Button Bushes, with these rods ... and swung them into the boat.
    I wouldn't put any less line on, than 1.5 to 2 times the length of the rod. Even if you don't spiral wrap the whole rod, before running the line thru the tip eye .... I'd spiral wrap the upper section, at least ... then allow a rods length of line past the tip. If the rod is graphite, and very thin at the tip, I'd especially recommend wrapping the line down the pole ... if nothing else, it will take some of the pressure off the tip. If you're just catching hand sized Bluegill, you probably have little to worry about, as far as breaking anything ... but, if you get into something bigger, having the line wrapped should help.
    If your "telescopic" rod has more than 2 sections ... spiral wrap the line, and tape it down at the top end of each "section". This should allow the sections to slip back into the previous section of the rod blank ... taking the line with them. Even if some line remains hanging out ... when you spiral wrap the "tip to bait" portion, around the collapsed rod, it should secure those loose line loops against the rod.
    I prefer braid for several reasons ... it's tough, it's limp, it won't retain "memory coils", and it will outlast monofilament line. And, even if it gets a knot in it ... it's still stronger than mono (with a knot in it), and much less likely to break, due to that knot.
    The "tape" I use ... is black electrical tape.

...... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

tie the line right to the tip(eye). i use a 5 loop sea knot and leave approx. 3 inches on the tail. remember " if you dont know the knot, tie alot." :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the replies. I appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Poppa Bob used to tie a arbor knot (slip knot with knotted tag end) about 2' from the end of his cane poles and half hitch a few times till he got to the end. That was fine with the old nylon cloth lines but not the best thing for mono, half hitches that is.

CP sounds good with his but I do somthin simplier, but a nail knot might be lil' tricky at first. By knail knot I mean run your line through your pole's eye bend it back over itself and wrap about 6 times while holding it with your finger against the pole. Slide your finger down the pole a lil' and ease up on the wraps till enough slack forms to run the tag end through the slack formed by all the loops and the pole. Pull on both ends till you got a "choke" of wraps around the pole with your line. Slide it up to the tip but most times it won't slide up and that's fine too.

It's the same as a nail knot in flyfishing where you attach the leader to the flyline so no knot is formed to go through the rod guides. Here's a pic of the knail knot assuming the red is not the line but your pole tip. And of course there's no tip guide on the picture either. My version of sliding to get slack on your wraps eliminates the need for the nail or tube; which might be tricky for the new tyier. Lil' practices and you won't need the nail/tube either.

You can think of it as a type of snell knot that chokes a hook shank, also. (the first fish hooks didn't have eyes but flattened ends to keep the snells from sliding off) This is a strong safe knot and puts the line of pull along the pole not where it will pull the eye off. No half hitches and no tape....Hope this helps...
    http://www.animatedknots.com/nailkno...matedknots.com
    We didn't come to look and learn, we came to trun and burn!...DL's piping crew.