Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mr Crappie solo reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mr Crappie solo reel

Anybody have any of these reels? Thought about getting a couple to use for ice fishing this winter. Just wondering if they were built as cheap as the price.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a couple of them on matching BPS Crappie Max poles. They do all I ask of them and have performed well. I really like that they don't twist line. They don't take line up very fast, as they're mostly for line storage & not fighting fish. They're great at dropping a lure/bait down to exact depths for vertical jigging (I make a few inch mark on my line with a permanent marker to get to the same spot). The drag works well enough, though it's not as smooth as my spinning reels (they also cost 1/6th as much as my Shimano reels). The biggest fish I caught with one so far was a 3+ pound bass that ate a crappie jig and pulled some drag before being landed easily. They do what they're supposed to without a lot of bells and whistles. I never fished through the ice, though I suspect they ought to handle the job.

Jim
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

They are great for single pole jigging
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to beat for single pole jigging especially in water no deeper than you rod is long. They are very light and work great on poles with bottom seats.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

The deepest we fish normally is in the 15'-20' range. Didn't know with the slow retrieve how well it would work thru the ice

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to put filler line on them, then attach 50 yards of mono or braid on top of that. I used a cheap string for the filler. If you put as much line as possible the reel ratio improves. I like them and have several. I do mostly fish them in shallow water straight line jigging. They are not for casting or trolling. "D"
    Likes PawPaw Gene LIKED above post

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a pair of these mounted on a pair of 12' double touch jigging rods. They are are awesome. But when I need to jig water deeper than 12' I switch to rods rigged with spin cast reels. You will lose fish trying to reel in the slack line.