Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

I went to one of my favorite lakes again today to pull crankbaits for crappie from my kayak. The gate to the lake normally opens at 6:00 AM and I was shocked to see the parking lot full and several boats on the water at 6:02 AM on my way to the boathouse. I figured there was a night tournament going on and the guy at the boathouse confirmed it.

Since the ramp was tied up with another boat, I took my kayak over to the kayak launch dock closer to the boathouse. I couldn't lean out far enough on the floating kayak launch to put all four rods the their holders, so I left two rods right beside the kayak, then would load them as I got in to launch. I drove my truck up to park and saw some of the tournament fishermen bring their boats up to the kayak dock to get to the boathouse faster. By the time I got back to the kayak, the bass boats were gone. As I was loading the rods, I noticed slack line on my favorite rod. I turned the reel handle and the tip top guide and the top six inches of the rod slid down to the line keeper, just as broken as it could be.

I seriously doubt anyone broke my rod on purpose. I set it far enough out of the way so it couldn't be kicked in by accident. I saw footprints in the dew on the dock where somebody besides me walked over to look at my kayak and ultimately stepped on & broke my rod.

I know I can't cry over things that can't cry over me, but I believe a swift kick might have been less painful than losing my favorite rod. It is a 6'6" light action All Star Rod made in Texas, USA that has literally brought tons of fish to the boat. I bought it new in 1992 and they quit making that model in about 1997. The light action rod worked great with braid because it had enough give not to pull hooks on the smallest crappie and absorb the pull of the heaviest slabs. I caught an 8 pound bass on it a couple weeks ago, a 11 pound channel cat ten years ago, and my personal best crappie 2 lbs, 10 oz.,which won a tournament in 1994. We had some history together.

It is my fault for leaving the rod where it could be stepped on, even though I never expected anyone else to use that dock. I'm looking into replacing it with a rod designed for kokanee as the the most similar light action rod I can find.*heavy sigh*

Jim
    Last edited by "G"; 08-29-2017 at 07:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about the loss. I know that once you get "attached" to a rod, you actually "need" it to feel confident enough to be successful. However, I'm sure the next rod you get will generate enough confidence that you'll be riding high once again soon. Sorry state of affairs to think that someone would actually do that on purpose.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That's tuff.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a shame, and I would not be happy either if my favorite rod got broken even if I did it!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to here your favorite rod was broke. Maybe you can buy another end section from Grizzly Jigs.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Don't all star rods have a lifetime warranty?

Post Thanks / Like

That's a bummer,hopefully you can find one to replace it that you will learn to like just as much as that rod.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain. My favorite green carp rod is a medium action All Star bait caster that I bought at about the same time you bought yours. It is a great rod that I hope I never lose. Ironically, I bought it to replace my former favorite, a Skyline Graphite rod that was purchased in the late 70's and was stolen from me in '91 long after that company had gone out of business.

Sorry for the pain you're feeling and hopes you will find one that feels great for a replacement.

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for your loss. I feel your pain as we are highly attached to our favorites. Best of luck finding a replacement that serves you well.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast