Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider rigging setup? dropshot style? or egg sinkers above swivel?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Spider rigging setup? dropshot style? or egg sinkers above swivel?

I'm fairly new to spider rigging and have been rigging my rods like the others I fish with, or get advice from, which is a small crowd.

Anyway, it occurred to me that using a drop shot setup might be an effective spider rigging technique.

Currently I am using 3/8 or 1/2 oz slip sinkers on 6 lb test above a swivel depending upon the depth with a 2' 4 lb test leader to my jig.

Does it make a difference?

I could see the drop shot style maybe being more versatile if I wanted to jig a brushpile and then troll with the same setup?

There are literally centuries of experience on this forum, what say you?
    2017 Ranger RT188C Shadow Grass Camo
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Crappie Novice
    Likes rebranger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

We put the weight on the bottom, move 8-12 inches and tie a loop knot with a #2 hook, move up another 12 inches and tie another loop knot with a #2 hook, hook shiners thru the lips and get after it at .2 - .6 mph., depending on how the fish like it that given day. Works for us.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I fish 7 days a week; some days for fish, everyday for men.

Post Thanks / Like

We just use 1/4 oz jigheads with Aberdeen hooks...works great and if you get hung up the Aberdeen will bend

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Northforker View Post
    I'm fairly new to spider rigging and have been rigging my rods like the others I fish with, or get advice from, which is a small crowd.

Anyway, it occurred to me that using a drop shot setup might be an effective spider rigging technique.

Currently I am using 3/8 or 1/2 oz slip sinkers on 6 lb test above a swivel depending upon the depth with a 2' 4 lb test leader to my jig.

Does it make a difference?

I could see the drop shot style maybe being more versatile if I wanted to jig a brushpile and then troll with the same setup?

There are literally centuries of experience on this forum, what say you?
    An actual "dropshot" setup wouldn't be effective as a Spider Rig setup, IMHO. By rigging a hook off the main line @ 90deg angle to that line, the dropshot setup allows the weight to act as an anchor, holding the rig in one place while the angler jiggles the slack line in order to make the bait "dance". The fish inhales the bait, straightening the loose line, which indicates to the angler that a fish has struck. The intent is to have the tension of the line between the rod tip & weight not be sufficient enough to allow the fish to inhale the bait deeply (swallow it) and still far enough into its mouth that the hook will stick the roof of the mouth or the upper lip.

When Spider Rigging, the weight is used to keep the line in a near vertical position ... so the bait reaches the fish before the boat/trolling motor goes overhead of the fish.

What you may be thinking of is what many call a KY Lake Rig. Heavy weight on end of line, then one or more hooks above the weight (at varying distances) and on short leader lines or loop knots. This rig allows the weight to do its job of maintaining a near vertical main line, while the leader lines or loops allow the fish to inhale the bait (& hook).

If you're Spider Rigging with a Dropshot rig ... you're asking the fish to inhale the bait with enough force to raise the suspended weight. I just don't see a fish inhaling with enough force to lift a 1/2 - 1.5oz weight and not immediately blow it right back out (if, in fact, the fish could actually raise the weight).

Just my opinion ... and I may be wrong

Post Thanks / Like

There are several pre-made minnow rigs available that lots of folks use; Capps and Coleman rigs, Grizzly Jig makes there own minnow rigs, etc. They both come in various weights and work great for spider rigging.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use bullet weights and a double wrapped bead as a stop . Pretty much like a carolina rig but has same look as egg weight set up . Reason ? about 200 of them left from bass fishing days .
    Likes rebranger, Broncosfantulsa, g6463, DaveB40 LIKED above post