HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: DI AND SI ONLY TRIP

Post Thanks / Like

Default DI AND SI ONLY TRIP

And low and behold us guys were still able to find a few fish !
    Now mind you both of us spent half the trip looking at the 2 big hummers trying to decide what we were seeing for sure
    and in most cases I still wasn't convinced until I dropped a jig down in it .....
    The fish at this lake were rather thick in the 2 locations that we hit and were both in 9 to 11 foot of water , there was a thunderstorm on its way and they were flat out eating hard . Bud let me drive as well because we were just out there doing our best at being brave old men .
    We wasted half the trip looking at the screens , but hey sometimes it isn't about ketchn fish right ......?
    Anyway long story short he wanted at least 5 nice fish and we kept 7 , probably threw another 7 legal fish back and managed about that many not legal as well . Didn't really hit high numbers but we didn't get to stay long and we was mostly goofing off looking around under water with his nice toys ......
    stay tuned but don't stay thirsty my friends ...
    p.s. I might be a bit low on the number we ketched and yes I tried a bunch of different jigs as well .....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes Marvin, scrat, skiptomylu, S10CHEVY, hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Nice crappie.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent report. Some really dandy crappie there. The real difficulty with all these modern bells & whistles on the sonar screens we gawk is the reality of not really knowing which species you are actually marking. Now based on experience and studying fish habits, we can "sort of" guess what we are looking at. But there are no guarantees. Fortunately, you were able to get that guarantee with a jig! Good job!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Good job! I'm also working on my electronics 'ciphering skills. In the DI pic, is that fish or brush or both?

Post Thanks / Like

I think that DI is of fish and brush but then again I am not totally positive when I look at those screens and images myself .some of the other screen shots I didn't get a photo of had much more definitive "popcorn" looking dots around the brush , but once I see just few things that look fishy I go to pitching my jig , I am sure someone out there could tune them hummers up to make it where we knew at a glance and or maybe after some training we could say more definitively what was what but then again that's why I love the fish symbols and depth markings on the symbols .
    split screens help sometimes but in many cases what the 2D says is there and what the DI says is there look so different its a bit confusing .
    more time on the water is the cure is my thoughts .....wish I had more of it myself ....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Thanks ET Fish thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Know what yoiu mean Outlaw, barry g and i were out on his boat trying to figure out what the heck we were seeing and then just said oh well and started dipping trees and you end up only looking at depth so you have an idea of how deep to drop your jig. Great report as always, thanks and you are always out having fun and that's how you do it!

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny you should mention that. We had an equipment failure last weekend, it was quite disconcerting.
    In the end we just settled down and went old school.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

Good catch
    2002 Triton TR186 , Mercury 175
    Spyderlok Rod Holders, Cornfield Crappie Gear,Denali Rods, Ardent Reels
    Humminbird Helix Megas DI,SI,SONAR GPS, Humminbird 360
    Minnkota Ultrex