Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lightest weight instant anti reverse spinning reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lightest weight instant anti reverse spinning reel

I'm looking for the lightest in actual weight spinning reel with instant anti-reverse. I don't care about colors, bearings, smoothness, brand or any other hooplah! Just weight and instant anti reverse. I'm looking for quick hooksets at deeper single pole jigging with a few cranks to take up line when jigging 15 ft or deeper.

So far I've found the quantum optix05 is decent, but if I can lighten up a bit that would be a plus. So if you have any suggestions please respond. I'd like to find a reel that's 3-4 oz.

Thanks
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about the lightest myself and in some cases I tend to think it might throw off the balance of your set up if it's to light , I love the shimano saharas myself as far as being a great reel for crappie .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes dhaire, jackie53 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SIcrappie View Post
    I'm looking for the lightest in actual weight spinning reel with instant anti-reverse.... I'd like to find a reel that's 3-4 oz.
    Instant anti-reverse is easy. Almost every decent reel has it. (Every reel I've bought in the last twenty years has it.)

You'll have a hard time finding a reel that light, though. The lightest reel I know of (Pflueger Patriarch) weighs just over 5 oz, but it's $200.

Post Thanks / Like

That may be an unrealistic goal, but all you have to do is to peruse any reel catalog. Most listings show the number of bearings, capacity and weight. If not, then go to the manufacturers website and look up the model you have in mind. That will tell you everything about the reel. Why is it you want a reel that light? What purpose/application will it be used for?
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Shimano Stradic C-14. U will pay $200+ for one though

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't exist.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

For me it's all about weight and the speed of the hookset and a reel weighing 5+ ounces isn't a good combo on those light biters beyond 15 ft. I can get great hookups using the grizzly green mini baitcast reel, but having to hand strip 5-8 ft of line isn't ideal. Reeling in that length although just a few ft can be problematic beyond a few ft longer than my rod with those reels. A couple cranks on a high multiplication spinner reel is the ticket. But the super ultralight spinning reels out there often do not have infinite anti reverse. Without that the minute slop in the stop isn't ideal. I'm looking for a spinner less than 4 oz that has an almost locking drag and zero slack in the anti-reverse. Slop and sloppy hooksets equal lip hooks which flop off at the surface. That's what I'm trying to avoid. If you hook a crappie in the lips, you set the hook an instant too late.

Post Thanks / Like

The http://www.cabelas.com/product/pflue...F104837580.uts is the lightest reel you can buy that has acceptable quality. I'm not aware of any spinning reel below 5 oz. I'm fairly certain there aren't any and never have been. The patriarch 25 is 5.3 oz. Even the Ci4+ 1000 is heavier and the 2500 is an ounce and half heavier. There are some light reels out there like the Okuma Helios, Patriarch XT, BPS Carbonlite that are all light, but all have quality issues. There there are reels that are more expensive than the Patriarch and are no lighter, just way better like the Steez and Stella. The regular Patriarch reel is time tested and should be light enough for anyone. People on this forum including myself have caught more crappies than anyone on the planet. An ounce or 2 will make 0 difference in the speed of your hookset, and if absolutely have to be quick draw McGraw stick to your Grizzlys. Frankly, what is more important than reel weight is rod weight and sensitivity. If your using a B&M rod or some other long crappie rod the reel weights we are discussing don't matter.

There are reels like this but they don't show the weight. Pflueger® Monarch Ice Spinning Reel | Pflueger® or this. Bass Pro Shops TinyLite Spinning Reel
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 08-27-2017 at 11:22 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SIcrappie View Post
    For me it's all about weight and the speed of the hookset and a reel weighing 5+ ounces isn't a good combo on those light biters beyond 15 ft. I can get great hookups using the grizzly green mini baitcast reel, but having to hand strip 5-8 ft of line isn't ideal. Reeling in that length although just a few ft can be problematic beyond a few ft longer than my rod with those reels. A couple cranks on a high multiplication spinner reel is the ticket. But the super ultralight spinning reels out there often do not have infinite anti reverse. Without that the minute slop in the stop isn't ideal. I'm looking for a spinner less than 4 oz that has an almost locking drag and zero slack in the anti-reverse. Slop and sloppy hooksets equal lip hooks which flop off at the surface. That's what I'm trying to avoid. If you hook a crappie in the lips, you set the hook an instant too late.
    I'm still not understanding how you've come to the conclusion that you "need" a reel weighing less than 5 oz? I have 3 of the #6920 Pflueger Presidents (as well as heavier Shimanos) and we fish deep water (~20'), jigging crappie, white & yellow perch and bluegill, with no problems whatsoever.

I'm fishing 9' (and 7') rods with 2# test Fireline Crystal with a 4' fluorocarbon leader over the deep basin. Sometimes we jig straight up & down. Sometimes we're drifting and/or trolling. We've never experienced a situation where reel weight was that consequential to anything. Of greater importance to us is a good drag and instant anti-reverse. As well as having reels with proven reliability.

Like I always say though, to each his own! So if such a light reel will give you the confidence you need to be successful, I hope you find what you are looking for. I just don't see it as being a realistic "need" is all. JMO!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Just Google "ice fishing reels by Dave Genz" they are exactly what you are wanting I own 12 of them, and have had them for 7 or 8 years now, started with 15 of them so pretty good for the money.