HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Steering problems...NEED HELP!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Steering problems...NEED HELP!

Hi all,

Normally I would be posting a video, but I need some advice here. Recently my steering broke on my boat, it is a rack and pinion type system. The cap, where the cables go in at the helm, cracked in half and fell out. I put the cap together and slid it back into the rack?/box at he helm. My steering will turn left but not right. I think this cap keep pressure on the cables. anyways, my question is does anyone know if I can order just this cap part or do I have to order a whole new steering system?

-Flopping Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago my boat had a similar issue...The rack had move away from the pinion and damaged the rack....Replaced the cable which took using a cherry picker to remove the 150 VMAX from the transom as the cable could not bend sharp enough install it...Anyway I would suspect you need a new cable with the rack being part of it...Research boating/marine supply houses....They will require you to measure the cable length....Hopefully you will not have to remove the outboard to install it as I did..Good luck...My cable was a Teleflex and cost a bit over $200 ...You should see a brand name stamped onto the cable.....Another alternative is to change to a hydraulic steering system....Under normal conditions your pinion will be centered in the distance of the rack to enable you to turn both directions equally....If not centered you may be able to turn only one direction as you described...
    Last edited by Snagged again; 08-23-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    Likes Ttexastom LIKED above post
    Thanks floppingcrappie, PDog thanked you for this post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Check center as suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Micropterus salmoides LIKED above post
    Thanks floppingcrappie thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Order a hydraulic steering system and never look back! Best decision I've made with my rig!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes rebranger, skeetbum, Redge LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I have ever heard of anyone regretting a hydraulic system. Initial cost is higher but so much better system. I'm with bandchaser.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My present boat has the hydraulic system and now I would not have anything else.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

As said your out of time rack to pinion. The cover does in fact hold it all together. You might be able to buy the cover if you could get name and any numbers off box. You should be able to disconnect cable from housing and remove from consol. As a mechanic my first question has to be why did it break? You undoubtedly have another problem that needs addressed. Only thing I can think of would be that cover got loose for some reason letting the steering mechanism put excess pressure on cover. My recommendation would be buy a new steering box complete and replace not repair. That is if money is the issue. I understand not all of us can run out and spend the kind of dollars a lot of folks recommend. If boat is very old I would consider replacing cable as well. If money is not a issue and over 50-60 hp I would definitely recommend hydraulic.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Update- So I was not able to order the piece I needed unfortunately. I ordered a new double rack and pinion system (same as the current one on the boat). I realize a hydraulic system would probably be nicer in the long run, but don't have the funds for that. The parts should be here next week, so I guess i'll just have to use the trolling motor to get out the crappie spot for now. Thanks to all have helped with advice. much appreciated.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck and installation is not complicated. Instructions for timing should come with the parts. I may be wrong though. The last time I installed a cable the instructions were written in English only and all the parts were made in America.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes floppingcrappie, Redge, drdlongshot LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    Good luck and installation is not complicated. Instructions for timing should come with the parts. I may be wrong though. The last time I installed a cable the instructions were written in English only and all the parts were made in America.
    Dang Cane Pole,
    You are showing your age....no such luxuries any more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast