Likes Likes:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: ZEBCO 33 MICRO GOLD

Post Thanks / Like

Default ZEBCO 33 MICRO GOLD

Has any one tried the Zebco 33 Micro Gold reel? Any thoughts or opinions on them?
    I got a few for my 3 Slab Tail rod (BnM/ Fishstalker) 5'10" Jigging rod, it has eyes that spiral 180 for jigging, got the rods at grizzly jig.
    The pound + crappie was pulling line,and the drag cranked down as much as it would go. I thought the line was tightening up on itself on the spool. I took off the 4 pound red cajun line and put a little over half a spool of Mr crappie 4 hi-vis on it I think it helped it and increased line tension. I know micros drag systems aren't that great. When not in use i got the drag slack. When in use I tighten the drag about 3/4 and see how its tugging. I am just not a fan of cranking the reel when drag is being pulled off the spool
    Thanks guys, awesome site, great forums, knowledge and skills, ya just can"t go wrong with fisherman
    Chippo

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen that before on the micro versions in the zebcos and I think a Shakespeare closed face as well .....I don't know what causes it myself and don't use the reels very often except for when the women and children go with me to ketch bream .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

what would you use in a close face?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chippo View Post
    Zebco Omega or old model Johnson Century off ebay.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my wife the Omega 2 or 3 years ago and she never liked it. I changed line several times trying to make it work for her. I told her if she wasn't going to use it then I was. Well I used it for 1 trip. Now it sits on a shelf with other reels I wasted money buying. Around the first of the year I got her a Zebco Bullet and she LOVES IT. it weighs a little more than the 33 but out performs.

Post Thanks / Like

deathb4disco.....what can you tell us about the old johnson century? Really have piqued my interest....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by captdave View Post
    deathb4disco.....what can you tell us about the old johnson century? Really have piqued my interest....
    For starters, they're built like tanks. I still have four that work perfectly, and each is at least forty years old. They have a low gear ratio which is great for slowly retrieving jigs. They're a little on the heavy side, and they don't have all the bells and whistles of modern reels. They're still better than most modern spincast reels, though.

You can still get them on eBay. In the late 80's/early 90's, they came out with a new "anniversary edition". You don't want that one. It's not the same reel, no matter what they claimed. Look for one from the 1960's or early 1970's.
    Thanks captdave thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dad and I had a Johnson, our favorite, most dependable reel. That was a darn few years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chippo View Post
    I like the little 22 Zebcos and have several and we have a several Shakespeare closed face reels that work good as well . heard tell a many a times the old Johnson century closed face reels are all that as well .....one thing for certain ,most of the kid poles we have are right good stuff reel wise . that Shakespeare on them things is a trooper for a mostly plastic reel .....
    I myself have been in love with open faced spinning reels since I was a rather young one so I don't know for sure what is best on the closed face reels ....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales