Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trolling rod or long pole question?????

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling rod or long pole question?????

I have been using BnM jig poles for several years. I have come up with a good system ot keep the hooks and sinkers on my 2 hook rigs from tangling during transport. My problem is keeping the rods and the long lines from tangling. I keep my rods put togther and don't break them down. Anyone have a solution for carrying 12-15 rods together?

Post Thanks / Like

I have considered finding some velcro "wraps" to fit this....I've also considered going to lowe's or Home Depot electrical department's and finding those ratchet type(orange colored plastic and looks like a single oblong handcuff) and glueing a stip of rubber on the inside for softness and useing them....I usually keep the stuff you line cabinet shelves and drawers with to keep stuff from slipping, that would work to glue to the "pole cuffs"....I keep most of my poles together with rubberbands....DemoMan
    Last edited by DemolitionMan; 03-11-2007 at 08:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I use velcro to hold my poles together. I take them apart and use 1 wrap at each end. Works well for me. The 6" size works the best.
    Fishing is a way of life. Teach your grandchildren to fish, hunt and enjoy the outdoors

Post Thanks / Like

I use the velcro wraps to keep the sinker in place after I wrap the line around the handle. I get my poles tangled when I put them together.
    You can find the velcro straps I use in packs of 50 for $3-4 at na office supply store.
    I thought about finding some type of sleeve material to slip over the rod. I don't know.

Post Thanks / Like

i use small rubber bands to keep my stuff from becoming tangled. i carry a plastic box of assorted sizes and when we put the rods away we secure everything with the bands. if you runnin a two hook setup run a band from one hook to the other. that will keep the hooks from wrapping around everything. its simple to remove the bands when you settin up to start fishing.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 2 hook rig. I set the top hook in the hook keeper on the rod. The second I stick in the foam handle and then wrap the sinker line around the lower handle and secure it with a velcro fastener. This is not a problem.
    the problem is when I carry 12-15 rods together, they get tangled in the middle to the tip of the rod. That is what i'm trying to cure.
    Thanks for the help

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe Weezer was advertising a rod sock of some kind that is made to cover long poles. Give him a holler.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you keep the two jigs from wrapping around the main line while fishing? I use a 10lb. flourocrbon leader about 10-12" long off the main line and have trouble w/the leaders wrapping abound the main when I'm trolling- handling. Do I need to go to maybe a 20lb. test leader so it will be stiffer and keep the jigs away from main line? Appreciate any input. Thanks, Carl
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon.

Some people have heroes that wear capes.
    MY heroes wear kevlar vests embossed with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor

Post Thanks / Like

I use 6# stren for all my trolling. I tie a loop knot on the end, slip it thru the weight eye and over to secure it. Then I tie a "dropper loop" knot where i want my hooks. http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfi...e=LogoGrog.jpg
    I then slip the loop thru the hook eye and over the hook to secure it. I haven't bought those ole store bought rigs in years and with a little practice you can rig one this way just as fast.
    Using this, I don't have any trouble with tangles. The hooks get together every now and then. but that is not much trouble.
    Something else I do is to tie a 4# or even a 2# leader and tie my rig from this line if it gets clear or they get finnicky.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Volfan, Give this a try. After you secure your hooks in the keeper and or foam handle grab the line about midways up the pole. pull it away from the pole and twirl the pole 3 revolutions. Now you can bundle your rods together and not have to worry about tangles!
    To get ready to fish just grab the line again, pull away as you twirl the rod 3 revolutions in the opposite direction. Don't undo your hooks until you have unwrapped your line first.
    Give this a try...I think you'll like it!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast