HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Finally marked a few fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finally marked a few fish

Fished a lake that is close to our house where we normally do not fish, we found a hole and marked some fish. I am getting a little better with the Helix 5 that came with boat. Spot lock is the next thing I want, was hard to control boat and stay in position to fish the hole. My plan was to troll bandits but we bought some XPS Laser looks like a shad and caught a few crappie with them but then my son landed to really nice walleye 18 and 19" in the same hole.

Only problem the XPS Laser seemed to twist the line really bad, need to figure that out

The crappie really hammered it, fun to cast as it will get out there

Thinking of switching to braided line for the twist issue

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Be advised : braid will twist, too !!

I think I'd try and figure out "why" you got the twists, first ... before switching line types. If you were casting, it may have been the bait was spinning in the air during the cast. If you were trolling, you may have been going faster than the bait was intended to go and the bait was "rolling" over occasionally.
    Likes Jwater, squirrel dog LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

We were casting, not sure why but my son has had more issues with his spinning reel and twisting line. He has a new Flueger reel, it had 6lb Berkely line on it, I tore the line off when we got home. Heading to Bass pro tomorrow, thinking of trying Power Pro 8lb test, we used some power pro on a guided trip and liked how it acted.

not really sure but mono line is not god with him.
    Thanks chimneyman thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I love power pro but pappy is correct, it won't stop the twisting problem. It might be more forgiving until it gets real bad though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I see line twist frequently on most of my stuff , I do a lot of casting and winding from the bank . I have not a seen a brand of mono that acts better than another for the most part . I would tend to think it has something to do with the amount of use and heat and a few other factors like the reel and the lures as well .
    None of my reels hold much line and when it gets to bothering me I just replace it with fresh ....I rarely use braid except for some vertical jigging in the winter
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes James Steve LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

True, all lines twist with spinning reels to one degree or another. The fundamental difference between regular monofilament lines and braids is that braided lines are not negatively affected by the twist.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes martyjmc66 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Ran Power Pro for first time on my reel, different feel for sure but had zero issues casting the blade I was throwing.

Not sure yet how it will work for crappie but hope to find out soon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoe View Post
    Ran Power Pro for first time on my reel, different feel for sure but had zero issues casting the blade I was throwing.

Not sure yet how it will work for crappie but hope to find out soon
    I have been using Power Pro for a long time now and since the Super Slick came out, I like it even more! I use most 10# and have not had any issues at all. Now I do long line troll a lot in spring and fall, only tight line in summer here so casting is not something I do a lot crappie fishing. Sometime in spring I will cast a bit for a little while, but at least 95% of my crappie fishing is not casting.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I love power pro line myself. I think I'm going to try depth hunter series very soon so I can see how much line I have out for sure. I think I might try the slick series also for casting on a local river for smallmouth bass because the regular power pro makes a lot of noise going through the guides and I wonder if it slows it down or wears on the guides??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Crappiepappy probably rolling make a short cast and watch it back to the boat at different speeds see if it rolls especially a fast retrieve. another tip when casting an open face use your hand to flip the bail with your hand, depends on the reel you put 1/4 to 1/2 twist in the line every cast just using the handle to start the retrieve. take the lure off - let out line 100 ft. and trol without the lure for 100 yards and the boat will take the twist out instead of replacing it. watch the bait as you cast it and see if it spins in the air. Tube jigs are especially bad about spinning in the air. you can use a swivel on the bait but it may affect the action of the bait, you can use a barrel swivel a foot above the lure But this adds another knot in play and a knot is usually the weakest point in your line. ( use the smallest barrel swivel feasable) it will go thru the tip of the rod. your milage may vary