Likes Likes:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ever Fish Islands that move?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ever Fish Islands that move?

https://youtu.be/YXftrIZ5V6A

Last weekend I made a trip to northwest Wisconsin to fish the Chippewa Flowage. The coolest thing about this body of water (besides being 1700 acres) is that it has large floating bogs/islands that actually change location from year to year. I hope you enjoy the video!

Also, Slab, I order a bottle of Slabsauce last night(hoping to get it before next weekend) and plan on doing my next video using it.

-Flopping Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

When I lived in New England I used to fish a large pond in New Hampshire that had a huge floating island. It was the first place we would try because the fish hid under it. I pulled a 5# Largemouth from under it on a 5wt fly rod. Great fun.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    When I lived in New England I used to fish a large pond in New Hampshire that had a huge floating island. It was the first place we would try because the fish hid under it. I pulled a 5# Largemouth from under it on a 5wt fly rod. Great fun.
    That must have been a heck of a fight with a fly rod! Especially a lightweightrod.

DaveB40 is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We fished the Chetek Chain the last couple of years and had the same issues. Fortunately, some of the guys we went with
    have fished those lakes for years and gave us some advice. We used longer (8ft-9ft) light weight rods with slip floats, and
    found the occasional opening in the bog and dropped our bait in the hole. More time than not, there was a nice fish that
    would come out of those holes. We also fished the edge of the bog,especially if there were tree branches trapped in the growth.
    Not always easy, but another way to have fun. Tight Lines - Dave
    "Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason" President Ronald Reagan

Proud Member of "TEAM GEEZER"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB40 View Post
    We fished the Chetek Chain the last couple of years and had the same issues. Fortunately, some of the guys we went with
    have fished those lakes for years and gave us some advice. We used longer (8ft-9ft) light weight rods with slip floats, and
    found the occasional opening in the bog and dropped our bait in the hole. More time than not, there was a nice fish that
    would come out of those holes. We also fished the edge of the bog,especially if there were tree branches trapped in the growth.
    Not always easy, but another way to have fun. Tight Lines - Dave
    Did you use live bait? I'm thinking I would have had better success with minnows.

DaveB40 is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Minnows on occasion with a #4 gold lite wire hook, 1/16oz tube jigs with 1-1.5 inch plastic tubes in
    red body/white tail color. I try to pair this with a Thill Crappie Bobber 1/8 oz or a thin pencil float
    sold by Dan Gapen lures. I've been a follower of Mick Thills theory of float fishing and shot the line
    the way he recommends using small split shot with no ears. Hope you find this helpful and you catch
    a bunch! Also, I use 6# hi-viz line with a 2-3 ft fluorocarbon leader in 4# attached to the mainline with a
    Mustad Sz "0" FastAttach clip, and a no-knot clip on the end of the leader for quick change of jig.
    "Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason" President Ronald Reagan

Proud Member of "TEAM GEEZER"
    Thanks floppingcrappie thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by floppingcrappie View Post
    https://youtu.be/YXftrIZ5V6A

Last weekend I made a trip to northwest Wisconsin to fish the Chippewa Flowage. The coolest thing about this body of water (besides being 1700 acres) is that it has large floating bogs/islands that actually change location from year to year. I hope you enjoy the video!

Also, Slab, I order a bottle of Slabsauce last night(hoping to get it before next weekend) and plan on doing my next video using it.

-Flopping Crappie
    Think you meant to say 17,000 acres.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bugtussle View Post
    Think you meant to say 17,000 acres.
    Yes I did. I think I said it wrong in the video as well. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

probably, 3 weeks ago I was catching a lot of crappie off the bogs on the Chippewa Flowage. mostly before sunset, 15 fow . Using gulp
    As of last week I'm still marking them but the bite has slowed. If it ever stops raining here I think I might try minnows which I rarely use
    Thanks floppingcrappie thanked you for this post