Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thieves - everyone Must Read

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Thieves - everyone Must Read

Just wanted to let everyone to check your trailers regularly. Today I took a trip to catch some slabs, but as I looked in the rearview (20 miles from home) I saw a wobbly wheel on my trailer. Seems some J/A decided that he wanted my bearing buddies more than I did, and it seems all the grease escaped from the hubs. Thank God I saw it when I did and didn't end up dragging my trailer down the road. It took three hours of my fishing time for my brother to get new bearings and come to my aid so we could replace them on the side of the road. I will from now on look everytime that I take my boat out of the water.
    TinBoats.net
    The original aluminum boat fishing club!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Also get a new set of bearings and seal. Pack the bearings with grease and keep them in a zip lock bag in your truck for emergencies. Its cheap insurance from having to leave your boat sit along side of the road. A little cheap hydraulic jack comes in handy too.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I am gonna go one step further and get another hub too.
    TinBoats.net

Post Thanks / Like

If you drive on a "washboard" road, hit a speed bump or pothole going too fast you can knock your bearing buddies off.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing worse than a thief. I went on a weekend trip to Gatlinburg a couple years ago when I first moved into my current home. The subdivision was still under construction at the time. Left the boat on the apron next to the house, covered and locked up. Someone, who has since been caught five-fingering some antique guns from a neighbor, got into the boat and stole about $600 worth of gear. Rods and reels, a FULLY stocked tackle box, and who knows what else. That was the last night I ever left anything on the boat.
    Not to say that they weren't lifted, but be careful with those bearing buddies and red eyes. I was following my uncle on a long trip a couple years ago and watched his red eyes jump right off the hubs. They were installed per the instructions and everything, and still found their way off. I'd check 'em after every few trips and make sure their good and snug.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Loose wheel bearings are a common cause of bearing buddies falling off. You might have been seeing a symptom of the bearings failing. You could drive a long way (thousands of miles) with no covers on the hubs before you'd have a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Would there be any problem in drilling a hole throught the hub and bearing buddies, then inserting a screw to hold them together more securely?
    TinBoats.net

Post Thanks / Like

Thieves ain't particular what they steal....A thief is a thief...I guess we'll have to eventually do a "pretrip" inspection with a "checklist" before we pull out....Oh well, we got all kinds in this world....DemoMan

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had problems with my boat trailer license plate dissappering while parked at boat ramps. Apparently some people are too cheap to license their own trailers.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard stories here in Oklahoma of people breaking into a vehicle to steal the Corp annual pass. This is pretty low, causing someone hundreds of dollars of damage to get something worth $30. I would suggest that those who have this pass, write down the info on it just in case. My bet would be if one was stolen, the idiot would use it at the same ramp. Resulting in instant bustage.
    I am very uncomfortable with using the out of the way ramps. It's too bad that the law protects them from being shot just for thievery.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast