Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 2nd trip; did some catching!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2nd trip; did some catching!

Sorry, but no pictures this trip. I got on the water about 5 this afternoon, a very nice summer day here in CT. Low humidity, a few fair weather clouds and just a bit of a breeze, which tapered off about 6:30 or so. Only one other boat on the pond, 2 guys who split their time between steady trolling and working the weed lines on the other end of the pond; I gave them their space and they gave me mine. Worked out perfect.

Anyway, things were pretty slow between 5 and 7. Sonar conditions were terrible, perhaps the worst I'd seen on this water. I usually run the 2d sensitivity around 11-12 or so; tonight it was down on 5 and still very, very cluttered. The SI worked fine at the usual 13-15 setting but that 2d was ugly. I had a hard thermocline at 14 feet or so, pretty high compared to years past. I just couldn't locate any solid fish echo's so after trolling I began to work the weedline and picked up a small bass and 2 nice 'gills.

Around 7:15 or so the fish began to dimple the surface all around and like magic, began to appear on the SI display. The 2D was still next to useless but as they began to show on the SI, I'd move the boat in that direction and then I'd pick them up in the water column of the SI quite clearly. I was still casting at this point and picking up a bass or 'gill now and then. When I could see them in the water column, I dropped both poles over the edge and began jigging vertically. That's when things REALLY went nuts!

I began hooking them one after another, all on a green body/white tail Stinger. Nice fish, most were 11-12" or better, thumping my lure as soon as it got down to 8-9 feet or so. Just tore it up; such fun! When they'd move off, I'd move around a bit until I located them again and start jigging. Other pole had a Patriot colored ( I think ) baby shad. It didn't catch any until around 7:35 when they started hitting it hard rather than the other. On my 3rd hookup with that lure, as I got the fish in the boat he broke my line off forcing me to make a decision to retie or call it a night; I called it a night and left them biting for another time and trip. That was some little exciting period there for about 25 minutes, I must say! Just too busy to take time away from catching to snap pictures. I lost track of the numbers caught but that's OK, it was more fun catchin' than countin'!

All were released for another day as I don't like cleaning fish late in the evening.
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Great job out there! Sometimes you just can't beat those straight tails.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Great report & great fishing for just a few hours. Keep up the good work.
    Tight lines to you.