HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a new reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need a new reel

Preferably under 40 bucks. This is a reel I was looking at Invalid URL
    Has anyone used this? It looks decent but with the closest BPS being a couple hours away I don't have a way to check it out myself

I also was looking at the ugly stik crappie combo, but not sure if the reel would be any good on it.

Would love to hear some opinions from crappie experts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If you're gonna be casting jigs, I suggest paying more for a better reel. I would get the best Daiwa or Shimano you can afford.
    Likes Alphahawk, skiptomylu, Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need a new reel

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    If you're gonna be casting jigs, I suggest paying more for a better reel. I would get the best Daiwa or Shimano you can afford.
    Probably won't be casting jigs too much, besides trout magnets for bluegill. You're the second person that's said shimano or daiwa.

I'm gonna keep my options open. The rod I'll be putting the reel I get on is a 7 ft light if that helps any

I might go with this since I have a gift card at academy already Lew's Wally Marshall Signature Series 50 Size Spinning Reel Convertible | Academy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PanfishHunter View Post
    Probably won't be casting jigs too much, besides trout magnets for bluegill. You're the second person that's said shimano or daiwa.

I'm gonna keep my options open. The rod I'll be putting the reel I get on is a 7 ft light if that helps any

I might go with this since I have a gift card at academy already Lew's Wally Marshall Signature Series 50 Size Spinning Reel Convertible | Academy

I have that exact Lews/Wally 50 series on a 5 foot rod and its a great little reel, but it is TINY. 4lb test is the max I would go on it as I have tried 6lb, but you cast half the line out with every cast and the loops get bad that deep in the spool. For jigging it will be fine, but I would look at a 20 or 25 series Pflueger President (which the 20 is a tad bigger than the Wally and is more rugged). I use the President 20 on a longer jigging pole and it is solid, but I almost wish had gone with the 25 series as the President models seem a bit small for their size class. I also use a small Okuma for my slip bobber setup and is smooth little reel. I also have larger 30 series LEWS spinners along with ABU 30 series.

They're all great reels, and don't think you can go wrong with what all is out there today once you get to a $40 or $50+ dollar reel.
    Likes ad1974 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammmerhead View Post
    I have that exact Lews/Wally 50 series on a 5 foot rod and its a great little reel, but it is TINY. 4lb test is the max I would go on it as I have tried 6lb, but you cast half the line out with every cast and the loops get bad that deep in the spool. For jigging it will be fine, but I would look at a 20 or 25 series Pflueger President (which the 20 is a tad bigger than the Wally and is more rugged). I use the President 20 on a longer jigging pole and it is solid, but I almost wish had gone with the 25 series as the President models seem a bit small for their size class
    I was gonna go for the 75 size on the lews, but I think I'm gonna go with the super light. One of my buddies owns a few and says they're awesome for the money

If I wasn't bitten in the butt by a pfleuger and the president wasn't out of my price range I'd go for it, but I had a trion give out after one creek trip

Post Thanks / Like

That Trion must have had a factory defect. I've had 4 of them and all still work great after several years of use. I also use the president reels for bass fishing and there a great reel.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 5 president models and nothing but good to say about them. More important than size and line amount is the balance of the reel on the rod. If it doesn't balance it just isn't going to be comfortable in hand. Put the rig you have in mind together in the store and see how it works and go from there. My Two Cents.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Thanks pescador thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    I have 5 president models and nothing but good to say about them. More important than size and line amount is the balance of the reel on the rod. If it doesn't balance it just isn't going to be comfortable in hand. Put the rig you have in mind together in the store and see how it works and go from there. My Two Cents.
    Thanks, I'll be ordering online because the rod I'm getting isn't sold in either bps or academy. I'm actually going to order it straight from Shakespeare's website. If I had the budget for a president I would no doubt get one, but I've got to keep the combo as close to 50 or under as possible

Post Thanks / Like

Lews laser lite combos are around 40 bux total and the rod is very nice .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchn View Post
    Lews laser lite combos are around 40 bux total and the rod is very nice .
    I've looked at those because I love lews but I can't find anywhere that carries the 6ft

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast