PDA

View Full Version : Fillet Knife

silverside
08-15-2017, 09:33 PM
Ok guys... been a long time since filleting fish and memory is not good. Please bear with me. I always used a manual type knife, usually Rapala. I can remember that I usually flex the blade for separating skin from meat. How, or does, an electric carving knife flex to accomplish this same feat as the manual?

CrappiePappy
08-15-2017, 09:46 PM
Ok guys... been a long time since filleting fish and memory is not good. Please bear with me. I always used a manual type knife, usually Rapala. I can remember that I usually flex the blade for separating skin from meat. How, or does, an electric carving knife flex to accomplish this same feat as the manual?

Yes, elec knife blades flex, just like filet knife blades do ... the elec knife just has two blades that "saw" through the meat/bones, by going in opposite directions (& having serrated blades), whereas the filet knife's single blade "slices" through the meat & "around" the bones and it's the operator that creates the slicing motion (& not a motor within the knife).

silverside
08-15-2017, 10:43 PM
Thanks CP. It seemed important to me to get the flex. I believe I will try electric this time around.