PDA

View Full Version : How to tie a slip bobber? VIDEO

floppingcrappie
08-14-2017, 09:59 AM
https://youtu.be/TBZ4O-c6O7o

Well I'm back with another in my HOW-TO series of crappie fishing. In this video I walk through how I tie a simple slip bobber set up for crappie, and then head out on to the water to see it in action. I hope you're enjoying these videos because I sure like making them. I would like to hear how you tie and use a slip bobber setup so that I can try it out for myself (and maybe make a video of it).

Hope You enjoy!

-Flopping Crappie

CrappiePappy
08-14-2017, 10:31 AM
I can suggest a few things :

1) push your tube up over the shank barb ... the barb is there to keep your tube from pulling down on the hook (a minor problem with hollow tubes) Or, better yet, use a solid body tube, as it will stay on better/longer .

2) trim the yarn/string "stopper" down some, so that you don't get it all fouled up in your reel or line.

3) wet your Improved Clinch Knot prior to cinching it down to the jig eyelet. That will make the knot cinch down easier, plus lubricate the line so that friction heat of cinching the knot closed won't damage/weaken your line.

These are just "suggestions", as your video proves that your way works.

floppingcrappie
08-14-2017, 11:12 AM
I can suggest a few things :

1) push your tube up over the shank barb ... the barb is there to keep your tube from pulling down on the hook (a minor problem with hollow tubes) Or, better yet, use a solid body tube, as it will stay on better/longer .

2) trim the yarn/string "stopper" down some, so that you don't get it all fouled up in your reel or line.

3) wet your Improved Clinch Knot prior to cinching it down to the jig eyelet. That will make the knot cinch down easier, plus lubricate the line so that friction heat of cinching the knot closed won't damage/weaken your line.

These are just "suggestions", as your video proves that your way works.

Thanks for the info CrappiePappy. I did end up trimming the yarn on the stop once I was on the water. I am going to have to pick up some solid tubes to see if those stay on the hook better. Thanks for watching!

Techno2000
08-14-2017, 11:27 AM
https://youtu.be/TBZ4O-c6O7o

Well I'm back with another in my HOW-TO series of crappie fishing. In this video I walk through how I tie a simple slip bobber set up for crappie, and then head out on to the water to see it in action. I hope you're enjoying these videos because I sure like making them. I would like to hear how you tie and use a slip bobber setup so that I can try it out for myself (and maybe make a video of it).

Hope You enjoy!

-Flopping Crappie

Instead of those store bought stops, I just take length of 10 or 12 mono and tie about eight overhand knots on top of each other and clip the two tag ends close to the knot.

floppingcrappie
08-14-2017, 11:34 AM
Instead of those store bought stops, I just take length of 10 or 12 mono and tie about eight overhand knots on top of each other and clip the two tag ends close to the knot.

Does that every slip when reeling it through the first eyelit on the rod? It seems mono on mono line would either slip when reeling in or not be able to adjust once I tie a knot, but I could be wrong. I will definitely have to try this out because I would rather not spend the money on slips. Thanks for Watching.

chaunc
08-14-2017, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the info CrappiePappy. I did end up trimming the yarn on the stop once I was on the water. I am going to have to pick up some solid tubes to see if those stay on the hook better. Thanks for watching!

If you push the tube all the way up on the jighead, it will stay on better. Once you do that, add a drop of crazy glue to where it touches the plastic. Done deal.

Techno2000
08-14-2017, 11:42 AM
Does that every slip when reeling it through the first eyelit on the rod? It seems mono on mono line would either slip when reeling in or not be able to adjust once I tie a knot, but I could be wrong. I will definitely have to try this out because I would rather not spend the money on slips. Thanks for Watching.

It grips like you wouldn't believe mono or braid try one it's simple, just pull your knots tight.

Jiggah
08-14-2017, 11:52 AM
It grips like you wouldn't believe mono or braid try one it's simple, just pull your knots tight.

If you use 8lb on 4lb test, a simple slip knot would work. If your line is the same test in lbs, then I would do the overhands.

Techno2000
08-14-2017, 11:52 AM
If you push the tube all the way up on the jighead, it will stay on better. Once you do that, add a drop of crazy glue to where it touches the plastic. Done deal.And the new Gel super glue they got out these day makes that even easier.

Techno2000
08-14-2017, 11:56 AM
If you use 8lb on 4lb test, a simple slip knot would work. If your line is the same test in lbs, then I would do the overhands.I don't understand about the slip knot ?

floppingcrappie
08-14-2017, 11:59 AM
If you use 8lb on 4lb test, a simple slip knot would work. If your line is the same test in lbs, then I would do the overhands.

Could you explain how to tie the slip knot?

Jiggah
08-14-2017, 12:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQjiT3hKyYk

floppingcrappie
08-14-2017, 12:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQjiT3hKyYk

Thanks for the info. In the video it looks like they used braided line. I think this may work better than mono, but I will have to try them both.

Jiggah
08-14-2017, 12:19 PM
I was just showing you how to tie it. I did this Friday night and had no issues.

Techno2000
08-14-2017, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the info. In the video it looks like they used braided line. I think this may work better than mono, but I will have to try them both.Doing it my way... 8 overhand knots on top of each other and clipping the tag ends to 1/8 inches will never have to be retighten.

floppingcrappie
08-14-2017, 01:54 PM
Doing it my way... 8 overhand knots on top of each other and clipping the tag ends to 1/8 inches will never have to be retighten.

Thanks for the info. After I try this out (tying my own slips), I will definitely make a video.

Techno2000
08-14-2017, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the info. After I try this out (tying my own slips), I will definitely make a video.Did you try it ?

floppingcrappie
08-14-2017, 02:12 PM
Did you try it ?

I will try it the next time I get out on the water. Hopefully in a couple days. I have some video editing to do.

deathb4disco
08-15-2017, 08:36 AM
Here's 5-time world champion Alan Scotthorne tying the stop knot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUduQvTvrgA

floppingcrappie
08-15-2017, 08:58 AM
Here's 5-time world champion Alan Scotthorne tying the stop knot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUduQvTvrgA

Thanks for the video +deathb4disco! I will definitely try this out the next time I'm on the lake.