HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which jig head has the most action?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which jig head has the most action?

Normally all i throw is a round/ball type jig head with a loop knot but recently i was thrown some minnow style jig heads and holy cow do they make a difference. so when i got home i look up do-it molds and they have many different and odd looking jig head molds. Made me wonder which one has the best action? Who all has tried stuff like the asprin jig head or the banana jig head, what about the grave digger? All these different styles haha
    Likes Ttexastom LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

When you refer to "action", what exactly are you saying? The reason I'm asking that is that jig heads, unto themselves, have very little action per say. The vertically flat aspirin types probably fall faster than say a ball head would. And the horizontally flat heads would tend to wobble more on the fall. I find it difficult to believe that the bullet style lends much of a different action when compared to the more common ball head. As far as retrieve goes, I don't see a big difference in what each type lends to the action of the bait. The action usually comes from the body type you put on it.

Been using the ball head jigs for many decades with fine success. Not sure a change in the jig head itself would affect those results. But I could be wrong. Let's see what the consensus says here!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Snagged again, Crappiedayz, Ttexastom LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally don't want any added "action" from my jighead, when casting .... I want it to just swim back in a straight line, falling slightly deeper as it does. I will impart any added "action" that I deem necessary, by simply wiggling the rod tip, raising/lowering the rod, or jerking the rod a time or two on the retrieve. And I, too, use ballhead jigheads about 99.9% of the time.

But, as to your question ... I would think the wobble head, "Grave Digger", and certain versions of the "shaky head" jigheads would impart the most "action", as would those with the "crankbait bill" add-on thingy ... but, not all of these versions come in sizes, weights, and hook sizes that are oriented towards Crappie.

I look at those types of jigheads the same way I do the colors of the jighead or the plastics I put on them .... they may be "The Bomb" today, and cause you to bomb tomorrow.
    Likes Crestliner08, Crappiedayz LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Have cast and used ball heads for years along with pony heads...Used more pony's now days for the extra flash and slightly slower fall rate...Your jig body can certainly change fall rate along with line diameter also....Just my 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    I personally don't want any added "action" from my jighead, when casting .... I want it to just swim back in a straight line, falling slightly deeper as it does.
    This ^^^^

Post Thanks / Like

I just don't see it as a big deal what shape the head is, but I know some like the minnow head more and some like the ball head more and I will say that I was a bit surprised the other day when I weighed a minnow head. I have weighed many many heads, but I guess mostly the ball or round heads since that is what I have more sizes in and most of the time their weight is really not what it is suppose to be. It seems the 1/16 Oz minnow heads I have are about as close to 1/16 and probably close than any I have weighed. So maybe that is what happened, the head you tried in the minnow shape was a better weight?

When I want action though I don't worry about the head and move to Marabou tail or maybe a collar. Anyway feathers give great action!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!
    Likes Crestliner08, Crappiedayz, Ttexastom LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Guys a minnow head will have a flutter on the fall and a round head will fall straight down. As for on the retroviral they will be the same. A 1/32 minnow head with a Bobby garland will fall just like a dead shad fluttering from side to side. So yes it does have a different action on the fall. Try a darter jig it will dart form side to side with a small twitch of the rod like a jerk bait. Darters are a great white bass jig.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Thanks Ttexastom thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe im putting to much into it lol or like skiptomylu said the weight could and probably is different from various jig heads. But like lowe175 said the minnow head falls different, flutters an spirals down as opposed to a straight up and down wave type, and it vary may well have been the day aswell. The darter jig is something i must try because out of the past month of dock fishing my hand tied ball jigs and plastic ball jigs dont get near as many hits compared to a jiggin spoon ripped aggressively off the bottom, i can literally have rod in each hand and dance my jigs with little luck an with two rips of a spoon i catch a nice keeper. Not putting all my faith in switchin up tackle but dang sure had me curious as to why the spoon an minnow jig heads were getting more strikes, then again could all just be the day an time
    Likes ozarks ranger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I will also say the 1/32 Minnow head mold I have is really closer to1/24 oz so that will make a difference on the depth to.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with crappiedayz, the minnow head does kind of swim on slack to semi tight line. I have a bunch poured up but mostly just use the round head 1/16 and 1 3/2nd. your milage may vary.
    Likes Crappiedayz LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast