HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mast Planer Boards

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mast Planer Boards

I am interested in the mast style planers, does anyone have a suggestion of where to get the planers or plans to build my own? I have the mast and main line figured out just need the boards and an idea of which clips to use.
    thanks guys
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know you had use different boards with the mast style. What would be the advantage of the mast boards?
    Thanks Wade2131 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

You have one large board on each side
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

Riviera DPB big boards and yellow OR 10 releases. You can also jump up to OR 14 black or OR 19 orange for more tension.

Some issues with big boards is constant shuffling of lines. IE, you have 5 lines out one side. Number 2 goes off and catches a fish. You now have to shuffle lines 3, 4, and 5 out to get 2 back in the water. It takes time.

Another issue with shuffling. Not a huge issue if they all have a similar setback but a huge issue when you are running different baits at different depths and set backs.

Lastly, many guys use rubber bands on the main line to attach to the boards, fish hits and breaks the band. Not sure if a crappie would.

The advantage to in line boards is you can trip one, pull it out of formation and put it back in the same spot without shuffling other boards. This is huge when one particular bait is catching fish at a desired setback and depth.

As a rule of thumb, our outside boards run the furthest setback. We might run, 90, 80, and 70 setback on one side and an 85, 75, 65 on the other. This allows our outer baits to clear our inner baits without tangle. Hard to pull off with big boards.

Big boards do excell in rough water, similar setbacks, pulling heavy lines, and diving style options like jets, dipsy divers, slide divers, and so on.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes rebranger LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Look at Church Tackle. Think they sell mast boards. And I believe they have the clips also. I know in some of my looking around on various sites I have seen them. Maybe northwoods tackle or mills farm fleet.

Here is a good starting point.
    Planer Boards/Accessories - Franks Great Outdoors

Also check YouTube for videos on building your own double planner.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wicklundrh View Post
    Riviera DPB big boards and yellow OR 10 releases. You can also jump up to OR 14 black or OR 19 orange for more tension.

Some issues with big boards is constant shuffling of lines. IE, you have 5 lines out one side. Number 2 goes off and catches a fish. You now have to shuffle lines 3, 4, and 5 out to get 2 back in the water. It takes time.

Another issue with shuffling. Not a huge issue if they all have a similar setback but a huge issue when you are running different baits at different depths and set backs.

Lastly, many guys use rubber bands on the main line to attach to the boards, fish hits and breaks the band. Not sure if a crappie would.

The advantage to in line boards is you can trip one, pull it out of formation and put it back in the same spot without shuffling other boards. This is huge when one particular bait is catching fish at a desired setback and depth.

As a rule of thumb, our outside boards run the furthest setback. We might run, 90, 80, and 70 setback on one side and an 85, 75, 65 on the other. This allows our outer baits to clear our inner baits without tangle. Hard to pull off with big boards.

Big boards do excell in rough water, similar setbacks, pulling heavy lines, and diving style options like jets, dipsy divers, slide divers, and so on.

Awesome info, thanks.
    I too run my lines back the way you do, longest further out. Been using weights, kinda pushing and pulling at the same time and am not running near the line out to reach the depth. I don't really want to fool with a bunch of small boards and running the line on out you can spread out pretty good and not reeling to quick helps with not tangling allowing the fish to come to the top, crappie anyway, cats and whites can be a pain no matter your set up.
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    (662) 458-8925
    Likes rebranger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have used both the Rivera collapsable boards and Super Ski. The Super Ski work slightly better (i.e. pull about 8 ft ahead of Rivera), but the convenience of the Rivera is also very nice. If I were buying new, I would look hard at Amish Outfitters, but probably end up making my own.

I use a mix of releases, they all seem to work fine, Laurvick, Outdoor Scene, RJ, OR...

As far plans go, these seem very similar in size to what I remember the super ski being: Make Your Own Dual Planer Boards

I also set my rod holders to near vertical, with slack line to the release.
    Likes chimneyman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks bfish. I forgot about Amish Outfitters

I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    I have used both the Rivera collapsable boards and Super Ski. The Super Ski work slightly better (i.e. pull about 8 ft ahead of Rivera), but the convenience of the Rivera is also very nice. If I were buying new, I would look hard at Amish Outfitters, but probably end up making my own.

I use a mix of releases, they all seem to work fine, Laurvick, Outdoor Scene, RJ, OR...

As far plans go, these seem very similar in size to what I remember the super ski being: Make Your Own Dual Planer Boards

I also set my rod holders to near vertical, with slack line to the release.
    Thanks, is redwood something that can be picked up at Lowes or Home Depot?
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

In the late 80s I did a fair amount of fishing on lake Ontario.
    Especially in the spring, side planers were used extensively for steelhead while trolling along the warmer shorelines.
    I had an offshore type boat equipted with outriggers, so I ran mine from a low point on those, but most boats had a bow mounted tow mast.
    I made my own using 1x8 cedar, with the front end of each board cut on an angle or bevel.
    1x6 would probably work also, and as I recall each board was about 16" long.
    Side planers are actually 2 parralel boards about 6" apart with the inside board slightly forward of the outer board.
    I used small diameter all thread to separate them but also hold them together, with an eyebolt for the tow line, and they worked very well.
    There needs to be an opposite left side/right side planer, and they can be run as far out from the boat as you like.
    I used Penn reels clamped to the outrigger pole to hold the heavy mono tow line.
    The reels also saw use for towing teasers while fishing offshore in salt water.
    Shower curtain clips hold the offshore type release clips which just slides down the tow line when adding another line or in the event of a strike, and of coarse multible lines can be run from just one board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast