Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: question about mounting this

Post Thanks / Like

Default question about mounting this

so, i was going to install a mounting board to put my transducer on and cover up where the old one was. the board and back of aluminum boat both seem warped and it doesn't sit tight against transom. Do you guys think it will suck tight once I install both screws? maybe jusy fill with 5200 if not? opinions welcome

Name:  20170802_153343.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  19.5 KBName:  20170802_153343.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  19.5 KB

Dutchman is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It will if you can bolt it. Screws may strip before it pulls up tight . I would have a fab shop break a piece of aluminum into a channel ( shaped kind of like a u ) . Get a aluminum welder to fill in existing holes, weld channel to transom, bolt ducer to channel. I have done this on my boats. You will never have to worry about leaks again. I hate holes in boats.

Post Thanks / Like

I've put a ton of these on over the last few years for different guys.

I prefer the larger boards that go from the top of the transom down to the bottom of the boat. This way I can put in my mounting hardware "above" the waterline.

With the larger boards, we recess out the board at any location where a rivet or bolt currently resides. When we are going over exisiting holes, we will also put a recess in. We fill the exisiting hole with marine silicone and then put in a new screw to plug the hole. When putting the board on, we put silicone in all of our recess points and then around the outer edge. Again, the bolts go above the waterline on these models and I much prefer them to the boards like you have in your hand. The whole purpose was to NOT drill holes in your boat below the waterline.

That said, many companies are now only offering the board you are holding. The only way to purchase the larger boards is to purchase sheets of StarBoard.

Use a heat gun on that piece and get it hot. You should be able to form it in place. I would heat it and hand form it first. Put some screws in and start to heat it whill putting mild tension on the screws to allow them to pull the board for you. When the desired bend it reached, let it set for a while for the board to cool. Pull the board off, load the backside up with marine grade underwater silicone and install.

Do NOT use a torch!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"