HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metered Line

Post Thanks / Like

Default Metered Line

I have lots of Triline clear line, and Vicious Hi Viz Green, and instead of buying the high dollar metered line for pulling cranks or jigs, why couldn't I just tie the clear and hi viz line together every 10 yards just like the metered line?
    The only problem I see having, would be the knot would have to be a very small knot to pass thru the eye's on the pole without hanging or dragging against.
    Any thoughts on why this wouldn't work?

Post Thanks / Like

That's not a bad idea! The modified Albright knot is very good and small and passes through the guides well but it could snag on the line on the spool.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Machinists use a dye marker when they do their job that might be more permanent than a magic marker or other method of marking the line. My issue with the knots is that every one of them is a potential weak spot and when I would get hung when trolling, I needed no help in finding weak spots. I have used power pro braid and marked depths with good success but it does have to be darkened occasionally. I trolled cranks with it tied directly to the snap that held the crank and stayed very busy and lost very few cranks. My waters were reasonably clear of snags but brushpiles gave me a fit now and then. Hope you find something that works for you.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes martyjmc66, Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Agree skeet bum, the weak link would be the knot's. Metered Line

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Likes spindle LIKED above post
    Thanks chimneyman thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    Machinists use a dye marker when they do their job that might be more permanent than a magic marker or other method of marking the line. My issue with the knots is that every one of them is a potential weak spot and when I would get hung when trolling, I needed no help in finding weak spots. I have used power pro braid and marked depths with good success but it does have to be darkened occasionally. I trolled cranks with it tied directly to the snap that held the crank and stayed very busy and lost very few cranks. My waters were reasonably clear of snags but brushpiles gave me a fit now and then. Hope you find something that works for you.

When you say you had to darken the mark occasionally, how often is that? Hey I was thinking the same thing about the knot being the weak link. You know I use to be a commercial fisherman at Grenada Lake, Ms. and I use to tie lines together to make trot lines, but they could be big ol' hunker knots, not little like what I would need to go thru the eye's on the pole...ha

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Magic Markers are probably not the best idea for marking line, as they contain surfactants &/or alcohol ... which may weaken (or dry out) some lines. (which may also be the reason for having to "re-color" the marks after long exposure to water)
    Likes jordanjones LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You may be better off to check out this cheap China line.

Color: Multicolor(There are 5 colors: Yellow, Green, Purple, Orange, Blue. 10 meters change one color

300M 6LB-100LB Super Strong Multicolor Extreme PE Braided Sea/Lake Fishing Line | eBay
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie cowboy View Post
    I have lots of Triline clear line, and Vicious Hi Viz Green, and instead of buying the high dollar metered line for pulling cranks or jigs, why couldn't I just tie the clear and hi viz line together every 10 yards just like the metered line?
    The only problem I see having, would be the knot would have to be a very small knot to pass thru the eye's on the pole without hanging or dragging against.
    Any thoughts on why this wouldn't work?
    Why go thru the trouble when you can save time and money, and just order the line counter reels?? Less worry and grief! The first nice, big fish that you get on with knots every 10ft, would make you regret every knot and by the time you might get it to the boat, one of those last couple of knots will break, and your nice slab and crankbait is long gone!

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered a 500 yard spool of power pro depth hunter line for the same price as 1 line counter reel. The reels need a specific amount of line to be accurate and I have a bunch of reels already. I completely agree with knots being weak but it would work in a pinch. I have tied on fluorocarbon leaders on many occasions and have had great success with the improved Albright knot. The line counter reels would be great for repeatability even if slightly off of calibration.

Post Thanks / Like

Metered fishing line has been produced here in this country for many years. If any of you recall the term, "Spoonplugging" and it's creator, Elwood "Buck" Perry, then you can obtain his line directly from their site:

https://www.bucksspoonplugs.com/No-B...Line_p_91.html

The only thing is that the line's rating is 12 lb. test, which may be too heavy for you(?).
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Ttexastom LIKED above post
    Thanks crappie flash thanked you for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast