HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain Pickerel Taking Over?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chain Pickerel Taking Over?

I have a 15 acre pond on my property and we have in the past had plenty of success catching black crappies, large mouth bass and panfish.

A couple of years ago we landed a chain pickerel, last year a few chains, this year its like every time we go out and they seem pretty large in the 16" - 22" range...... and we are catching fewer and fewer crappie and bass.

Chains have some nasty little teeth and huge mouths, it seems to me they are affecting the population of the other fish in the pond.

Anyone encountered something similar or have any thoughts on the chain pickerel in general?

Post Thanks / Like

Had to look up the name. We call them jack down here in Mississippi. When I catch one I pull the gills and feed it to the eagles out in the lake. Jacks and gar are bad news on the fish population in my books. I have had the crappie bite to go south only to wind up catching a jack that had ran the crappie off. It is going to be very hard to get rid of them.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Thanks chimneyman, thegundog thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I've only ever caught one in a smaller state park lake but like scrat said, I was on a good bite until it showed up. Looked a lot like a northern pike and with a mouth full of teeth like that, they have to be pretty prodigious eaters. I can't imagine them doing much good in a small lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Deck Officer/2nd Engineer - M/V Saint Charles.
    2004 Tracker 17.5' Panfish
    Tite-lok rod holders - PST and BGJP rods
    I fish, therefore I am!
    Thanks thegundog thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you that you are not alone! Most of the waters we fish contain pickeral. And they are inhabiting the shallowest, weedy areas of most waters here. This is why I am reluctant to go shallow, especially in the summer time. Fortunately, we've found plentiful crappie suspended in the deeper areas of each lake. Scout around the main basin and see if you cannot spot any schools out there. Hopefully you do have some deeper water in that pond. If not, the best you can hope for is not loose too many jigs to these voracious, persistent critters.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Caught a pike in a local oxbow this year, and took it home to cook it. When I cut it open it had about a 6" crappie in it. Them guys up north have to deal with them all the time, and it looks like we will also.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you enjoyed eating that pike. One of the best eating fish we have in fresh water. Folks are jut unsure of how to filet these fish. Once you get the knack, you have a great source of fish to eat.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Hope you enjoyed eating that pike. One of the best eating fish we have in fresh water. Folks are jut unsure of how to filet these fish. Once you get the knack, you have a great source of fish to eat.
    Caught this today on Ky Lk
    Name:  IMG_1555.jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  219.1 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Crappie Time

Post Thanks / Like

I was up there last week, had me Carl's several times.

Generally most don't recommend stock black crappie in any pond smaller than 25 acres. They stunt and compete for food with bass and bluegill, hence your not catching many of any of them. Pickerel will feed on the stunted crappie, which is probably a good thing. If you don't like them, then stock 30-50 12"+ largemouth per an acre every year. They will eat the stunted crappie and outcompete the pickerel. Also you could have a dissolved oxygen problem too. I have heard of several the sand-lined ponds south of Fredericksburg routinely (every 4-6 years) having issues with dissolved oxygen, which the pickerel tolerate better than crappie/bass/bluegill.
    Likes thegundog LIKED above post

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Many years ago I fished a 10 acre spring fed lake in North Alabama. Had good bass and bream fishing. Owner put pickerel in it and totally ruined the fishing. Those things would attack your bait before you could get a bite from anything else.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us
    Thanks chimneyman thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

A small lake i used to fish when i was younger, Garrett Lake, near Dresden Tn has a bunch in there. They would eat anything a bass would that was fast moving. Mean dudes!
    If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Col 3:1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast