PDA

View Full Version : Boat Killers ......

Ketchn
07-28-2017, 07:07 AM
flat out middle of the lake ....my buds says what is that ?...I say where and he says there ....I say don't see it bro, he slows down and circles it ....a huge tree trunk barely above the water surface ,,,,boaters beware ,,,I done killed one boat this year on something similar we never saw at another lake :banghead

DockShootinJack
07-28-2017, 07:27 AM
Those water soaked logs don't float very high and they are heavy. They will make a mess out of a boat

mervin
07-28-2017, 09:40 AM
Definitely dangerous stuff right the.
Old Hickory lake in Tennessee is famous for that kinda stuff after a rain.
I rarely drive on it at night.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Zinger
07-28-2017, 11:58 AM
That is very scary!! My pondtoon doesn't move to fast and rarely have that at top speed. Our lakes are so high and full of debris right now.Really have to be careful. Don't do much night fishing anymore.

kycreek
07-28-2017, 12:21 PM
Ohio river has been full of debris this year.

scrat
07-28-2017, 12:34 PM
:yikesThat could really make someone's day.:bash:crazy:

Shad
07-28-2017, 01:23 PM
Looks like a dead whale. May be sharks underneath it. Sorry, watched too many shark shows this week! :Rofl

Mike1234
07-28-2017, 03:13 PM
Yep it will sure mess one up.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

ET Fish
07-28-2017, 04:19 PM
Those things get my attention!

lowe175
07-28-2017, 05:23 PM
That will make for a bad day

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Takeum
07-28-2017, 06:19 PM
Logs don't bother my boat so much as the cement freaking launch areas and rocks on both sides,,, when the wind kicks up it just throws your boat up on rocks and messes the heck out of bottoms and lower units,,,I can't wait til more docks start showing up... Sure has been a blessing,,,,

dhaire
07-28-2017, 08:12 PM
Looks like Lake Austin after a big rain.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com

CrappiePappy
07-28-2017, 08:23 PM
Several lakes in my area are known to rise several feet after a good rain ... picking up lots of trash & limbs/logs from the surrounding banks. At times, with the right wind speed, areas of the lakes can be nearly impassable without pushing the larger stuff out of your way.

One lake in particular, used to use 55gal drums to float the docks/marinas. Occasionally, some of those drums would escape and drift off down the lake. The problem was ... they'd eventually fill up with water and float just at/beneath the surface. First time I ever had a boat of my own, I took it out for a shakedown spin down the lake & back ... maybe a couple miles. On the way back I noticed a circular "flat spot" on the surface, in the middle of an otherwise light chop of windblown waves. I realized what it was at just the last second and swerved around it .... a nearly completely submerged 55gal drum, floating upright.

After that incident, I carried my 22cal pistol ... dragged the drums I found floating out to the depths and sunk them (usually in 80+fow). A fishing buddy of mine came up with a "tool" to do the same thing, with no chance of ricocheting lead flying about ... it was an old ballpeen hammer that he had filed down to a point. A couple of taps with that and down into the depths they'd go.

sinkermaker
07-28-2017, 10:41 PM
That will do it be careful

Cane Pole
07-29-2017, 09:50 AM
Several lakes in my area are known to rise several feet after a good rain ... picking up lots of trash & limbs/logs from the surrounding banks. At times, with the right wind speed, areas of the lakes can be nearly impassable without pushing the larger stuff out of your way.

One lake in particular, used to use 55gal drums to float the docks/marinas. Occasionally, some of those drums would escape and drift off down the lake. The problem was ... they'd eventually fill up with water and float just at/beneath the surface. First time I ever had a boat of my own, I took it out for a shakedown spin down the lake & back ... maybe a couple miles. On the way back I noticed a circular "flat spot" on the surface, in the middle of an otherwise light chop of windblown waves. I realized what it was at just the last second and swerved around it .... a nearly completely submerged 55gal drum, floating upright.

After that incident, I carried my 22cal pistol ... dragged the drums I found floating out to the depths and sunk them (usually in 80+fow). A fishing buddy of mine came up with a "tool" to do the same thing, with no chance of ricocheting lead flying about ... it was an old ballpeen hammer that he had filed down to a point. A couple of taps with that and down into the depths they'd go.

I like the gun idea lots better than a hammer.