PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Umbrella Selection

DaveB40
07-26-2017, 08:51 AM
Hey guys, I need some help from the members in choosing an umbrella
setup for the bow of my boat. I purchased the Millenium seats and the
umbrella holder and Spyderlock Rod holders from Gene (EZ-Poleholder).
Now I need to get an umbrella that will not interfere with the rods or
netting of fish and still provide cover for my partner and I. Any suggestions
are deeply appreciated and a few pics would help as well. Thanx again - Dave

crp4570
07-26-2017, 08:53 AM
I'm happy with my Sportbrella XL and four bungee cords.

Gomer Snerd
07-26-2017, 01:54 PM
If it is big enough to shade,it will interfere

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Dutchman
07-26-2017, 06:27 PM
Sportsbrella is about the best for the money that I've found . All of them interfere.

deltarat
07-26-2017, 07:07 PM
Sportbrella in a mount that will move around when the sun does or you change directions.

DaveB40
07-26-2017, 07:13 PM
Thanx to all of you who have taken time to respond to my question!
I appreciate you taking the time to provide me with your advice.
Thanx again!

dwightparks
07-26-2017, 08:03 PM
Wanted to go umbrella route but decided straw hat and rain suit are best solution for no interference

feelay
07-27-2017, 10:24 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wicklundrh
07-27-2017, 01:15 PM
Dave,

I went to Sam's club a number of years ago and purchased a beach umbrella. It comes in a handy bag and has two sections. The main section with umbrella and then an add on pole that connects to it. It ends up standing about 6.5 feet tall and is about 6 feet in diameter. The end of it has a plastic point that is designed to be stuffed in the sand. It also has an option to angle the umbrella if need be. It is extremely lightweight and durable and takes up no room in the boat. Actually stows in a rod locker with the case on it.

I use it during high sun when out fishing walleyes. I stick mine in the walk through section of my windshield on my Deep V and velco the pole to one of my window support brackets. Obviously, you have a holder so you wouldn't need that. If memory serves me, it was not very much money to purchase. Maybe 20 bucks or so.

wicklundrh
07-27-2017, 01:18 PM
Very similar to mine except for the color. This one is also upgraded to allow the bottom pole to slide in to the upper pole. I found this one on Sam's online site.

CrappiePappy
07-27-2017, 01:36 PM
Dave,

I went to Sam's club a number of years ago and purchased a beach umbrella. It comes in a handy bag and has two sections. The main section with umbrella and then an add on pole that connects to it. It ends up standing about 6.5 feet tall and is about 6 feet in diameter. The end of it has a plastic point that is designed to be stuffed in the sand. It also has an option to angle the umbrella if need be. It is extremely lightweight and durable and takes up no room in the boat. Actually stows in a rod locker with the case on it.

I use it during high sun when out fishing walleyes. I stick mine in the walk through section of my windshield on my Deep V and velco the pole to one of my window support brackets. Obviously, you have a holder so you wouldn't need that. If memory serves me, it was not very much money to purchase. Maybe 20 bucks or so.

Pretty much the same as I use ... but, I built a PVC "L" shaped holder that slips over the seat pole. I drilled thru the upright PVC pipe and the bottom pole of the umbrella stand & put a cotter pin thru it, so the umbrella wouldn't blow out. Works well and can be moved around the seat to better position the umbrella vs Sun angle. The only problem I've had with the umbrella has been during heavy winds (>15mph), which turned the front half of the umbrella "inside out" :Doh: ... but is easily pulled back into place, and hasn't caused any noticeable damage to the umbrella.

I've used it when casting and when using my 14' rods ... and haven't found it to be "in the way" enough to warrant not using it when the situation calls for one.

wicklundrh
07-27-2017, 01:47 PM
Pretty much the same as I use ... but, I built a PVC "L" shaped holder that slips over the seat pole. I drilled thru the upright PVC pipe and the bottom pole of the umbrella stand & put a cotter pin thru it, so the umbrella wouldn't blow out. Works well and can be moved around the seat to better position the umbrella vs Sun angle. The only problem I've had with the umbrella has been during heavy winds (>15mph), which turned the front half of the umbrella "inside out" :Doh: ... but is easily pulled back into place, and hasn't caused any noticeable damage to the umbrella.

I've used it when casting and when using my 14' rods ... and haven't found it to be "in the way" enough to warrant not using it when the situation calls for one.

I remember this has been a discussion before and you told me about your setup! I really like it but have not gotten around to experimenting with it much. I know I can adapt your idea to my boat. I don't always like the way I connect mine but you know how it goes. End up sitting in the boat, umbrella over you, thinking about all the things you could do better. Only to get home and forget all about it! Rough getting old I guess.

DaveB40
07-29-2017, 09:32 AM
Thank you guys!! A lot of useful info passed on once again by the members
of this great site! Will take all into consideration and make a decision.....
Really enjoy some of the creative methods used! Shows some real talent
and thinking outside the box. Have a great season guys - Dave