Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider rigging and gar

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider rigging and gar

Hello all- new to spider rigging and have been catching some crappie on the backwaters of the Mississippi. My question is what are some tips on not catching gar? I'm sure some can't be avoided but I've tried fishing below them and still manage to catch gar deep. My speed is between .3-1.0 mph and I've been using Capps and Coleman type rigs with minnows. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Likes rebranger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The only way to not catch gar is don't fish around the ms river. Only thing I've noticed is its not as bad in the winter

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, don't you know that there aren't any fish in the Mississippi other than jumping carp?? Sorry had to say it But all kidding aside, those gar are always trouble. Never had much issues with them deep though, usually its just shallow. I think they like minnows better than jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

They are fun to stick....bout all the useless advise I got

Sent from my Z959 using Tapatalk
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

To lessen the number of gar that are actually hooked, take the crappie hooks off and put jigheads on with no skirt. This may sound crazy but I have to change over every summer to fish the waters off the Mississippi down here in Arkansas and I won't hook as many gar. They will still bite, but usually the hook of the jig head will come out as you pull up. Hope that helps you out some!!
    Likes crappieintern LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arkcrappie View Post
    To lessen the number of gar that are actually hooked, take the crappie hooks off and put jigheads on with no skirt. This may sound crazy but I have to change over every summer to fish the waters off the Mississippi down here in Arkansas and I won't hook as many gar. They will still bite, but usually the hook of the jig head will come out as you pull up. Hope that helps you out some!!
    Thanks! I'll give this a try.