HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cranking black crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default cranking black crappie?

I think i read on here that cranking for crappie is mostly for white crappie and it makes sense because of the habits of white crappie vs black crappie.My trouble is my home lake dale hollow surely doesnt have many white crappie as i think i have only caught 1 white out of a hundered or so crappie this summer.Im just getting rigged up for cranking and im just wondering if i may have to try watts bar or the chick to make my crankbaits work.?

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We are 90 percent blacks. I cranked my whole lake for three weeks caught two whites. Wish you well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BAMA S View Post
    We are 90 percent blacks. I cranked my whole lake for three weeks caught two whites. Wish you well
    Are you saying you catch 90% black crappie while cranking?if so than I feel much better.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

No. Sorry bout that...... I caught 2 white crappie and that was it no blacks. Gave 120 cranks away and 8 rod with line counters on them

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

My catch on KY Lake on cranks is probably 90% white crappie but there are areas here on KY Lake closer to the banks that I catch 90% black crappie. I firmly believe if I put a crank in front of a black crappie it will hit it as often as a white crappie. This may bode different for other lakes but not here.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    My catch on KY Lake on cranks is probably 90% white crappie but there are areas here on KY Lake closer to the banks that I catch 90% black crappie. I firmly believe if I put a crank in front of a black crappie it will hit it as often as a white crappie. This may bode different for other lakes but not here.
    Makes sense,just afraid if I try to get that close to the cover I will be hung up all the time.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SLARUE View Post
    Makes sense,just afraid if I try to get that close to the cover I will be hung up all the time.

If you are afraid to lose large numbers of cranks you don't need to start pulling them. I've lost as many as a dozen a day and 7 at ONE TIME. I feel the risk is worth the reward, many don't.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Our black crappie or structure oriented mostly. As was noted no way to crank the structure. Martin is a deep clear lake. 150' in spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BAMA S View Post
    Our black crappie or structure oriented mostly. As was noted no way to crank the structure. Martin is a deep clear lake. 150' in spots.
    Sounds like dale hollow,deep clear,plenty of black and black nose,but I haven't located many whites,maybe I need to look in a different spot or drive to watts bar,I think whites are there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SLARUE View Post
    Sounds like dale hollow,deep clear,plenty of black and black nose,but I haven't located many whites,maybe I need to look in a different spot or drive to watts bar,I think whites are there.

Whites and blacks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast