HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Looking for ideas--Aug 21, 2017 total eclipse

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for ideas--Aug 21, 2017 total eclipse

We here in west KY are directly in the path of the total solar eclipse on August 21, 2017. I've been talking with some folks about this and how to market a boat trip to view the eclipse. This area has gone stake raving nuts over it. Some local motels that are typically less than $100 per night are charging up to $700 per night the night before and after(this was reported on local TV news). There are supposedly going to be up to 1/2 million visitors to our area for this single event and it seems many are willing to throw around stupid amounts of $$. I plan on getting my small piece of the pie.

I've been mulling over some things and I'm setting up a guided boat trip for 4 people on KY Lake to view it. I've rented a couple of waterfront resort rooms for 2 nights as part of the package. I have an idea of what I want to charge and terms but I for the life of me can't find a place I can or want to market it nationally. I've spent hours looking at guided fishing packages, guided this and that packages, but nothing about a small tour like mine. The big tour outfits are all over this but I don't have the budget to throw at it like they do. I can't afford to wait very long to get this out there.

Anybody got any ideas? Facebook has several pages but even though I have a Facebook page for my business, my wife takes care of it. Places like eBay are all over selling t-shirts and goofy looking(but necessary) viewing glasses(already got those coming). I pay dearly for yearly advertising but the tourism folks aren't helping the little guy. You can bet they won't forget to bill me next year.

I'm not wanting to have to justify the why or how, just need ideas on a place to market. Thanks.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Put it on your Facebook page ask your friends to share it. You will be surprised how fast it will spread.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Likes Alphahawk, strmwalker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I would say EBay, FB, here, and possibly Craig's List. You have a finite product you are offering that will probably be filled by one customer/party. Possibly even join forces with the motels you mentioned, especially if they are booked for those dates. A referral is always worth more than an advertisement.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe advising the area chamber of commerce. I'm sure they are getting a lot of calls.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crp4570 View Post
    Maybe advising the area chamber of commerce. I'm sure they are getting a lot of calls.
    I don't do business with my local or any national chamber of commerce. They don't have mine or most Americans best interest in mind. Their support of illegals and unlimited immigration will keep me from ever spending one red penny with them.
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

craigslist or VCI or Facebook...we have our lodge on VRBO ( Vacation Rental by Owner) no takers yet. Social media is all I can think of for what you are wanting to do.
    2002 Triton TR186 , Mercury 175
    Spyderlok Rod Holders, Cornfield Crappie Gear,Denali Rods, Ardent Reels
    Humminbird Helix Megas DI,SI,SONAR GPS, Humminbird 360
    Minnkota Ultrex

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Face book. If your not on them join some of the crappie pages. Bunches of us would share with friends if you posted it.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes Mike1234 LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just shared to my friends list.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Thanks M R Dux thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Shared with my FB friends. Hope it helps.
    Thanks M R Dux thanked you for this post