HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cut up fingers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cut up fingers

I have been out crappie fishing for last four days and my fingers have cuts all over them from handling crappie. I think I am going to start wearing gloves like the pro bass guys wear! LOL. Anyone else constantly have cuts on their fingers from handling fish?
    Crappie Time

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been known to end up with abrasions on my fingers/thumb from "lipping" fish, especially Bass, but also when I'm lucky enough to get into a good amount of Crappie. The "sun gloves" I wear do help, some, just not on the finger/thumb tips.
    Thanks chimneyman thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Man that's not a bad problem to have
    Likes Super D LIKED above post

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wish I had that problem
    Likes captdave LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Rarely do I have that problem. My hands have been cut up a lot over the years. Skin is like rawhide. Although I would rather have the fish rub.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I keep a very wet rag to handle the fish. Cradle them by their belly.

Post Thanks / Like

Try using "WorkingHands" creme. And wear sungloves. Regardless, it's a good thing to have this problem!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I did have some good fishing from daylight until about 10am each morning. Caught them out on the main river. Lucked up and found a honey hole. First hour is fast and furious using 4 spider rig rods and minnows about 12' deep. Got my limit yesterday by 7:30. That is a record for me! Went home and last night was looking at my damaged fingers thinking there must be way to help them so thought I would ask you gurus.
    Crappie Time

Post Thanks / Like

When I get to make a fishing trip a week to 10 or so days I can get handicapped by the same problem....Can get so sore it is fairly painful....I always bring fingernail clippers,a bottle of peroxide,band aids,and triple antibiotic ointment( Mycritricin ,trimiacin,or others with the +pain designation)...Any cuts/loose skin I trim with the nail clippers then soak in the peroxide several minutes.Dry off the peroxide,put on the ointment and band aids before going to bed.If I'm real bad next morning I'll put on more ointment and band aids again.As I'm fishing through the day the band aids get wet and I shed them.Do the same routine before bed again.......All of that is a extra pain to do but at least I get to continue fishing.....

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know how old you are. But as we age our or let me say my skin has thinned a lot and it is getting to where even a briar scratch bleeds like I was in a knife fight. Taking my low dose aspirin probably has helped with that also. I have used purex bleach on fish fin cuts to keep them from getting sore it works for me but be careful some people are allergic to strong bleach. Small catfish are one of the worst fish to fin me most of the time. Never have liked wearing gloves but may have to start.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast