Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Culling?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Culling?

Culling?
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Culling - definition ...(my own)

the practice of releasing a smaller "keeper sized" fish, & replacing it with a fish of greater size or weight....normally done when a "legal limit" of "keeper sized" fish has been boated, and the trip isn't over and the fish are still biting.

Of course, one may "cull" fish - BEFORE obtaining a legal limit !

Now, when there is no size or creel limit, or when you don't really want to bring a "legal limit" home to clean -- "culling" is generally thought of as just "throwing them back, to get bigger" :D

KK ... you've got me ROFLMAO on this one !! Mainly because I don't recall having the necessity to do any "culling" to my catches, very often. ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Too Funny

That is too funny crappiepappy....

Yes, culling is mostly reserved for tournament type fishing events where you can weigh you best 7 or 10.....you always want to keep your biggest ones, so the the ones above and beyond that that are smaller you tend to "cull" or set aside.....

What crappiepappy was talking about is possibly when you go fishing and you hit your limit for the day, you want to cull the smaller fish and in that case since you can't actually keep them, you have to throw them back in exchange for the bigger fish.

Here is the technical definition:

cull

1. To pick out from others; select.
    2. To gather; collect.
    3. To remove rejected members or parts from (a herd, for example).
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Not in Missouri, You may not cull fish period. Unless you are in official trash "bass" tournament. Then you are allowed to cull your fish. Each state is different from each other.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

TAE73
    Are you saying that all fish you catch you have to keep? Or you can not take one out of livewell and replace with a bigger
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Ranger375. In Mo, with the exception of bonafide green carp tournaments, once you reduce a fish to your possesion (the livewell, bucket, stringer or basket) it's part of your daily limit, not to be replaced by another.
    'Carpe Diem' does not mean "fish of the day."

Post Thanks / Like

CA is right, as long as you dont put a fish on a stringer, livewell, basket or whatever you use, you can release it. But once that fish is placed where you are keeping it, it is then part of your limit. If you swap out a fish for fish. they both count as your daily limit of your catch. So in all culling isnt worth doing in missouri. I would say people do it in missouri thou.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

i get it. Thanks guys. see I learned something.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

I saw in another post somewhere about Missouri or a lake in Missouri that the limit on crappie was like 15 or something. Here in Indiana it's 25 fish. In KY lake it's more like 30 fish or something like that.

Is there that much fishing pressure on the crappie in MO that they have to put such a low limit on crappie? Maybe it was just on one lake in MO. I am not familar with the rules of other states that I don't fish. I am just curious as to why such a low number on the limit for a panfish.

And how can they enforce that no cull rule without actually watching the fishermen with Binoculars all day long. It seems like that rule would be hard to enforce if people didn't volunteerly go along with that rule. Just my observation

I am all for increasing the number of crappie in the lakes we all fish.

Quote Originally Posted by TAE73
    CA is right, as long as you dont put a fish on a stringer, livewell, basket or whatever you use, you can release it. But once that fish is placed where you are keeping it, it is then part of your limit. If you swap out a fish for fish. they both count as your daily limit of your catch. So in all culling isnt worth doing in missouri. I would say people do it in missouri thou.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Moose, yes we have 2 limits streams and rivers crappie are a limit of 30. But the major reseviors are 15. I we do have alot of fishing pressure but I dont think its alot. Its hard to say why or how someone came up with the numbers. And our agents are pretty sneaky at times, they will be undercover, fishing just like you and me and come up on you and suprise ya. I would say that cant really enforce that rule unless they caught u in the act of culling. But like I said you never know who is watching you.
    Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast