Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Home Lake is alive with shad! of all different sizes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Home Lake is alive with shad! of all different sizes

good sign for future of course but have never seen this on my home lake. shad population has been reduced by introduction of wipers and I have personally never witnessed this but anyone speculate on how that should affect future fishing? are some of these clouds of fish fingerlings of crappie or bass or catfish or are they all shad? with the awful storms of spring affecting spawn for fisherman but crappie probably still did their thing. just new for me and hoping someone can explain it or direct me to a existing thread.

thanks as always guys. curious as this lake used to produce lots of two pound crappie and this last year lots of 12 to 14 inchers were caught.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't directly compare, however my home lake is like that every year. Trillions and trillions of the things every where you go. Blacking out the sonar. I've gotten used to it. The fishing is always good, but this lake isn't known for big fish. Actually I'd say the average size of fish is smaller than the rest of the lakes around it, but it is also a much smaller lake as well only 7800 acres. They always seem to be fat healthy fish, I can't tell you why they don't get as big on average as their neighbors. Maybe fishing pressure, maybe it's the musky they stock in it. Maybe the nutrition in the water column. Too many variables. I wouldn't expect your situation to hurt the fishing. Maybe you need to keep a few more because they are getting stunted,maybe less because they aren't allowed to get old enough

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk
    Likes skiptomylu LIKED above post