Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: V18 bass tracker for crappie fishiing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default V18 bass tracker for crappie fishiing?

Guys,
    I'm planning on doing 95% crappie fishing and I need a boat.
    I'm considering a used V 18 bass tracker since it's a nice wide boat. But the bass deck design has got me worried.

I'm wondering if a bass boat setup would be not so hot for crappie fishing?

Opinions please on the bass setup vs more traditional crappie boat.
    thanks
    Brett W

SC guys, sorry about this double post.
    G3PO

Post Thanks / Like

I do just as much crappie fishing in my bassboat as I do bass fishing. The V18 is a nice boat. I do not think you would regret it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Bass Boats!!!

I might make some people mad who like bass boat designs, b/c lots of people have used them (including me), but I say - stay away from high deck bass boats. If you are looking for a new boat find one with a deck that drops at least 12-13" from the bow to a drop deck. 15-18" would be better. This is assuming that you want to spider rig like or troll. You will be out of the wind, the boat will rock less, your usable storage space doubles, and you can walk from the front to the back of the boat without climbing like a billy goat or falling out. High decks like those most standard on bass boats and even good aluminum boats (war eagle, g3, etc) waste usable space. If you want to see how it works ahead of time, go to a g3 dealer and find a big 18/60 or 20/72. Climb up on the front deck and then climb down and walk back to the back of the boat. go back to the front and do it again about 5 times. Now imagine doing it in a 15 mph wind. Now think about how many times you have to get something out of the back of the boat or untangle the anchor or do something like that. I am 37, and I am pretty fit. I am not overweight and am fairly athletic. I have a 16/48 durcraft that used to have a high bass deck. It nearly killed me. I can't imagine doing that if I was any older or any heavier. I had a welder remove that worthless high deck, and went back with a drop deck and it is wonderful!!! I have ordered a new F&F custom designed to crappie fish and my old boat is for sale. I would never buy a bass boat to crappie fish.

Good Luck
    rushcreekoutdoor

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bass tracker pro team 175 that serves me to bass, crappie, catfish, or whatever. I mainly jig timber for crappie so the higher deck is elevated to see precisely where i am setting the jig down. I dont spider rig, yet, but have driftmaster rod holders mounted on each of the front and back corners of the boat ,all which accpet the little T bar and two zero degree adjustable rod holders. I did, just this year, move my two trolling batteries and onboard charger to the front storage, that used to be empty. The under deck storage extends all the way to the bow panel and now i have the batteries and charger neatly tucked under the bow of the boat, which added about 80 lbs to the front, thus more stability. Overall, i am pleased with the bass tracker setup but keep in mind that to each his own. i am sure that if i saw everyone's boat in person, and what they had done to customized them for thier own style, i could easily be convinced to go with a war eagle, or a triton, or a ranger, or a sea ark, or any of the other brands. Probably not a lot of help but my .02.

chris
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

I like bass boats cause you can run around in them if you want too without having to jump over stuff

like when fishing alone I'm up front and one of my rods gets hit on the back I run back there and catch'em

not to mention the fun of "floating" across the water fully trimmed out nuttin but the prop in the water it's like riding in one them ole 70's Lincon Continentals
    Live2Fish

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pro 185 and I catch my share of fish out of it. I also have a boat like rushcreekoutdoor mentioned with the high sides. Can't say that I like one over the other more but each one has it's place. In the spring when the fish are on the banks you can't beat the 185 with the bass boat type deck but in the summer when the fish are deeper and it's time to spider rig the high sided boat is ideal. (due to the pleasure boaters and thier lack of common courtesy!) And finally for set your hair on fire run down the lake speed, there is nothing like a "bass-type" boat, something about being that close to the water going that fast! Enjoy whatever boat you decide to purchase and remember like my dad tells me all the time;you can't catch fish running 60 mph down the lake, and the fish don't care how fast you get to them!
    Don't take life so seriously, no one lives through it anyhow!!

Post Thanks / Like

I fish out of a V18 and like it just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I own a V-18 and it is my second one. Lots of storage...nice and stable and lots of deck space to move around on. If the price is right..buy it.

Post Thanks / Like

I do more crappie fishing than bass, and I love my WarEagle 756 bassboat, I have it set up for crappie fishing.......
    My wife says she's going to leave me if I go fishing one more weekend.. Man i'm sure going to miss her.