Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anybody tried the Casey's Clasic RR for Crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anybody tried the Casey's Clasic RR for Crappie?

So one of the big bass tournament guys won a recent Bassmaster Classic using some oversize Road Runners that he poured himself in his garage. Blakemore jumped on it and signed him to an endorsement deal and started producing his version of the RR and marketing them as Casey's Classic, its basically a Road Runner in either 1/4 or 3/8 oz with a willow style blade that is much bigger than the blade on the standard size RRs.

The standard size RRs are deadly on crappie and they say bigger baits catch bigger fish so I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Casey's Classics on crappie. I bought a few and tried them at my father-in-laws pond and can attest that they are deadly on bass, I used the Yums paddle tail flukes that are recommended on the packages. I wonder how they would do on crappie with an oversized tube or curly tail grub, bet they would work great. I just haven't had the chance to try yet.

Only drawback is they are very expensive, one jig will cost you about the same as a decent crank bait, around $5.
    Last edited by BigKyd; 07-06-2017 at 02:39 PM. Reason: correction
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes they will work! I like to push anything with a under spin instead of a crankbait.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks a lot like their Marabou 2 head, but they hand tied the ones I saw of the Marabou 2 heads even though they have a collar and barb. I may have to get them a shot since I have some and just never used them. When I ordered them I didn't realize they had the collar and barb, but was surprised when they came with a Brass Willow Leaf Blade with their imprint on it! Mine are just 1/16th though and not sure what sizes they come it, may have to check, lol!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually I think that is poured on their Horse head mold not the standard RR mold. Not much difference except the drop portion where swivel goes is a little longer. I pour 1/4 - 3/8 - 5/16 RR style heads with 2/0 and 3/0 sickle hooks. This is in a old single pour mold. Push them with #2 Colorado or 3 and 3 1/2 willow blades. They seem to work better as summer comes on and into the fall when shad get a little bigger. Use larger tubes with solid head and strolRs, Walley size curly tails. They will definatley catch crappie.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979