PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi River crappie?

Tracker81
06-30-2017, 09:38 AM
I fish a harbor and ditches off the harbor on the Mississippi River and was wondering if anyone fishes the main river anywhere? If so how do u fish it and it's it good fishing?

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

stormcloud
06-30-2017, 09:56 AM
Asian carp have pretty well ruined sport fishing up and down the Mississippi and it's tributaries. Nothing scientific but
I think we will see an increase in the alligator gar population.

Tracker81
06-30-2017, 10:15 AM
Asian carp have pretty well ruined sport fishing up and down the Mississippi and it's tributaries. Nothing scientific but
I think we will see an increase in the alligator gar population.
I wondered about that. They have really populated in reelfoot Lake last couple yrs. Do they eat the crappie or run them off?

stormcloud
06-30-2017, 10:57 AM
They break the food chain by eating the algae and plankton that other fry depend on.

Jwater
06-30-2017, 08:50 PM
I crappie fished Mississippi River oxbows for years and years; it was the only fishing I knew. Once the Asian carp showed up, it was over. Don't know exactly why, but they definitely ruined it. However, I have heard of people having success at Tunica. I've never known anyone to catch them on the main river.

Tracker81
07-17-2017, 02:21 PM
I crappie fished Mississippi River oxbows for years and years; it was the only fishing I knew. Once the Asian carp showed up, it was over. Don't know exactly why, but they definitely ruined it. However, I have heard of people having success at Tunica. I've never known anyone to catch them on the main river.
I have heard at tunica some people catch them. Thanks for info

murdok
07-17-2017, 03:46 PM

x 2 on that. the days i used to have on chotard and albamar were what dreams were made of. its a shame.

deltarat
07-17-2017, 10:12 PM
A friend caught some on Whittington last week pulling cranks. It used to be my main lake but I haven't fished it in 2 years.

Cray
07-18-2017, 07:51 AM
Years ago I had a guy worked for me, him and his uncle fished the river when it got low enough. They fished the Covington area and would fish those scour holes behind the wing walls that ran out in the river. Seen pictures of boat loads of crappie that came out of those deep holes. Don't think carp would be a problem on the river or right in the mouth of the inlets to the river. They are only going to affect closed water areas wher the eat all the plankton and starve out the food source for crappie and bass.

arkcrappie
07-20-2017, 09:21 PM
Years ago I had a guy worked for me, him and his uncle fished the river when it got low enough. They fished the Covington area and would fish those scour holes behind the wing walls that ran out in the river. Seen pictures of boat loads of crappie that came out of those deep holes. Don't think carp would be a problem on the river or right in the mouth of the inlets to the river. They are only going to affect closed water areas wher the eat all the plankton and starve out the food source for crappie and bass.

They may not be a problem as far as eating up the food sources for the shad and fry, but those carp love that calm water behind the rock dikes and the mouths of any tributary. You better wear a helmet! :Rofl

Hanr3
07-20-2017, 10:41 PM
Actually, the Asian Carp have done two things for the fishery. Eaten up algae other species haven't been able to keep up with. Plus they are prolific breeders, there young have provided another food source for game fish. Unfortunately, they grow so fast that the sport fish cant eat them fast enough. However, with all the algae gone there food source is gone too. At some point the population will decrease because they are starving to dead.

I don't fish the Mississippi, however I do fish the Illinois. Couple weeks ago I was putting nice size eater Walleye in the boat. Last year I was catching my largest Crappie in Central Illinois out of the Illinois River. Haven't Crappie fished the Illinois yet this year, but that time is coming soon.

Nutbush
07-21-2017, 06:28 AM
Maybe I am missing something, but shouldn't the carp be affecting the catfish as well? There are guys catching tye heck out of some catfish along that river.

arkcrappie
07-21-2017, 11:28 AM
Maybe I am missing something, but shouldn't the carp be affecting the catfish as well? There are guys catching tye heck out of some catfish along that river.

The catfish are eating dead crappie. I'm not sure what the white bass and gar are eating. Probably each other[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)