Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mississippi River crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mississippi River crappie?

I fish a harbor and ditches off the harbor on the Mississippi River and was wondering if anyone fishes the main river anywhere? If so how do u fish it and it's it good fishing?

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Asian carp have pretty well ruined sport fishing up and down the Mississippi and it's tributaries. Nothing scientific but
    I think we will see an increase in the alligator gar population.
    Tell'em I'll be there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stormcloud View Post
    Asian carp have pretty well ruined sport fishing up and down the Mississippi and it's tributaries. Nothing scientific but
    I think we will see an increase in the alligator gar population.
    I wondered about that. They have really populated in reelfoot Lake last couple yrs. Do they eat the crappie or run them off?

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

They break the food chain by eating the algae and plankton that other fry depend on.
    Tell'em I'll be there.

Post Thanks / Like

I crappie fished Mississippi River oxbows for years and years; it was the only fishing I knew. Once the Asian carp showed up, it was over. Don't know exactly why, but they definitely ruined it. However, I have heard of people having success at Tunica. I've never known anyone to catch them on the main river.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jwater View Post
    I crappie fished Mississippi River oxbows for years and years; it was the only fishing I knew. Once the Asian carp showed up, it was over. Don't know exactly why, but they definitely ruined it. However, I have heard of people having success at Tunica. I've never known anyone to catch them on the main river.
    I have heard at tunica some people catch them. Thanks for info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jwater View Post
    x 2 on that. the days i used to have on chotard and albamar were what dreams were made of. its a shame.

Post Thanks / Like

A friend caught some on Whittington last week pulling cranks. It used to be my main lake but I haven't fished it in 2 years.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I had a guy worked for me, him and his uncle fished the river when it got low enough. They fished the Covington area and would fish those scour holes behind the wing walls that ran out in the river. Seen pictures of boat loads of crappie that came out of those deep holes. Don't think carp would be a problem on the river or right in the mouth of the inlets to the river. They are only going to affect closed water areas wher the eat all the plankton and starve out the food source for crappie and bass.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes rebranger, chimneyman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cray View Post
    Years ago I had a guy worked for me, him and his uncle fished the river when it got low enough. They fished the Covington area and would fish those scour holes behind the wing walls that ran out in the river. Seen pictures of boat loads of crappie that came out of those deep holes. Don't think carp would be a problem on the river or right in the mouth of the inlets to the river. They are only going to affect closed water areas wher the eat all the plankton and starve out the food source for crappie and bass.
    They may not be a problem as far as eating up the food sources for the shad and fry, but those carp love that calm water behind the rock dikes and the mouths of any tributary. You better wear a helmet!
    Likes Jwater LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast